Best and Worst Parts of Having Older Friends in College

7 Reasons Why Having Older Friends In College Is The Best (And Worst) Thing Ever

From the beginning of your college journey, all the way until the end of their's, having friends who are older than you in college will be amazing and heartbreaking at the same time.

990
Lindsey Brady

Since I've come to college, I have made some of the best friends in the entire world. It just so happens that nearly half of my core friend group are seniors who are about to graduate and leave me forever (brb crying). While I am a junior and am very excited about continuing my academic career, I will be very sad to see them go and have to start officially doing life on my own. Here is a list of seven reasons why I love (and hate) that some of my best friends are a year older than me.

1. They showed me what to do when I got to college

College can be a scary time with all of the changes that you are going through. I didn't know my way around the campus, didn't know where to sit in the library, and didn't know how to juggle homework, friends, work, and sorority life all at once. I would not have made it through if I didn't have my older friends to teach me all of their ways and to show me the ropes of life as a college student.

2. They always pushed me to do my best in every aspect of my life

studying with friends

Whether it was about school, work, or anything in between, my friends always encouraged me to keep going. They assured me that everything was going to be alright as long as I tried my best. I will forever be thankful for this lesson, especially because it applies to every aspect of my life and will continue to even when they are gone.

3. They give really good advice

advice

Because your older friends have been in the collegiate environment longer than you have, they know things. In a weird way, it seems like older friends are always right about any advice they are trying to give you. From which professors to take and which to definitely avoid, to how to navigate your way through any type of drama that may occur, older friends will help you through it all. My older friends helped me every time I asked for help and got me through a lot of tough times in my life because of their words of advice.

4. They showed me that not everything in life has to be so serious

We love (not so) candid pictures!

While it is widely understood between my friends that we are in fact here for school, my older friends taught me how to let loose, have fun, and make the most out of my college years while still maintaining good grades. From the random Tuesday movie nights to driving to Cincinnati on a Wednesday "for the views," I would not change a single fun and random memory I have with my friends.

5. They act like my moms in the best way possible

I go to school about five hours away from my hometown, which I knew was going to be tough considering I am extremely close with my family, especially my mom. I knew coming into college meant I was going to need people who would be there for me in the way that my mom always has been because I wouldn't be within arms reach of her anymore. The friends I made who are older than me, especially my big in my sorority, have become exactly that. Whether I am sick, missing my family, nervous about a test, or just need a friend, they are always there with a bowl of soup or a hug for me. Having your 'school moms' is important, and my older friends filled that role perfectly.

6. They make you cry when they talk about leaving (and think it's super funny)

friends

About a month before graduation, it will start to hit you and your friends that everything is about to change. Be on the lookout for any sad songs they want to play about graduation because you will be crying and they will be laughing at you crying. It makes for a good laugh for everyone involved in the end but still gets really sad.

7. You have to live without them when they graduate

This is by far the worst part about having older friends in college. After some of the best years of your life, you have to say goodbye without knowing if you'll ever live within walking distance again, let alone in the same city or state again! However, even though I know I am going to be a mess when my friends leave, I would not change a single thing about the past three years.

To my best friends graduating, thank you for the best memories and the best years of my life. I will never forget the lessons you have taught me and all the laughter and happiness you brought into my life.

To people like me who also have best friends graduating college and leaving them, we got this (hopefully).