Having Financially Supportive Parents Doesn’t Make Me Spoiled Or Entitled

My Parents Support Me Financially But That Doesn’t Make Me 'Spoiled' Or 'Entitled,' Just Lucky

My parents are not rich. I was not born into money. I'm not entitled or spoiled. Just lucky to have good parents.

2215

I decided to write an article last week as an ode to my parents for just some of the great things they do for me constantly. I summarized that I believe I am not spoiled, I was just lucky enough to be gifted with two amazing parents who do their best to make sure I have what is best for me. The article was shared throughout Facebook with some people agreeing with me, tagging their parents (or parent figures), showing their appreciation.

However, others called me out for being "entitled" and being "fed with a silver spoon my whole life." A portion also said that my parents were not great just because of a financial situation or they weren't teaching me responsibility, that I was never going to be able to take care of myself. Let's get one thing right off of the bat.

My parents are not rich. I was not born into money.

Yes, they both work but my family is considered lower middle class. There was even a long period of time where my dad was without a job, but we got through it. I grew up in a town where the poverty level was extremely high. I didn't go to some fancy private school, I went to high school where the walls were stained with wet spots and the windows were cracked, where kids engaged in fights, and the testing scores were below average. My parents would have loved to put me and my siblings into a better school district but they couldn't afford the expenses of a private institution (even with a scholarship) or to move altogether.

Like I said in the article before, my parents do pay for my student loans and phone bill directly. As I also stated, I give them a sum of money every month with a little extra so it can cover all of that. I understand bills have a due date, I understand that when the time comes, they will have to be paid on time. Do you know why? My parents taught me that. Responsibility, in which I also have some jobs to do while at home as picking up the dog's poop and helping my mom with housework. I do my own laundry while at school, but at home, my mom offers as she does the whole household's in single loads (which I help with!). My parents raised my older sister the same way and now she has a baby and a house, all while providing for them.

My mom and my dad aren't just fantastic parents because of their incomes being able to give me more leeway with expenses.

They are there when I need to cry, when I need a reality check, and will always be my friend (a parent first). If they expected me to do everything, they would still be awesome. Your parents could not help you with money at all but support you and your decisions emotionally and you could appreciate them and love them, not saying they're not great because they don't help out financially. Some parents don't have the financial means to do what mine has done but that doesn't make them any less of a great parent. Sometimes the heads of the families need that kind of aid which is perfectly OK because life happens and I would help them out in a heartbeat.

I have a part-time job and it is clearly written in the previous article so I don't understand why a bunch of people are telling me to get a job or forever be doomed to a life of depending on my parents. I attend school full-time which Mom and Dad know is hard from the multiple phone calls they get about all of my assignments. They don't want to add to my stress if they can do something about it. I pay for every luxury for myself like a trip to both Disney and Orlando last spring. If they gift me something, I make sure it is known how appreciated it is.

While I am still iffy on the subject of having kids and not at a point in my life where I want to be thinking of them, I want to raise my kids the same way that my parents raised me and my siblings if I do have them. I think I turned out pretty alright. When they're old and frail, I won't place them in a nursing home for all of the years they have supported me. My mom and dad can come live in my house.

My parents taught me responsibility.

They made sure I was a good kid who achieved good grades. They didn't give me everything I have ever wanted in life but they taught me to work for it while they give me everything I have ever needed. Now when I stand on my two feet completely alone, I will have a head start. Is it that bad that parents want to help their children out in any way they can? So thanks again, Mom and Dad.