I Haven't Heard That Top 40 Song, I've Been Living Under A Punk Rock

Ten alternative bands you need to listen to right now.

56

I hate FM radio. I just can't tolerate the repetitiveness of those cliché pop songs and the unimaginative commercials. I typically stick to using Spotify. Spotify is great because I can be my own DJ and personalize my playlists. Anyone who uses Spotify knows how easily it is to get sucked in---one minute you're browsing your favorite genre, and then the next four hours are spent discovering new music. That can be very time consuming; you can waste 45 minutes listing to a new band's songs and then decide their music isn't for you. Well, I've got some good news: I've done all the work for you. Here's a list of 10 alternative bands you need to give a listen to:

1. Tame Impala

Tame Impala an Australian psychadelic rock band. Tame Impala's music makes you want to lie back, close your eyes, and submerge yourself into the lyrics. If you're looking for music with a different vibe than your typical alt rock, Tame Impala is definitely the band for you.

Songs to listen to: Lucidity and Yes, I'm Changing

2. Bad Suns

Bad Suns is a band from Los Angeles, California. They're the perfect mix of indie and rock. I was lucky enough to see them in concert back in February of 2015. It was an incredible experience- the atmosphere was alive. I could live that night on repeat forever. There isn't really a better way to describe Bad Suns' music other than "fresh." You'll definitely want to check out this band.

Songs to listen to: Salt, Dancing On Quicksand, and Cardiac Arrest

3. Ra Ra Riot

Ra Ra Riot is an indie rock band from Syracuse, New York. Fun fact: Ra Ra Riot has incorporated baroque pop into their songs, creating a unique musical experience for everyone listening.

Songs to listen to: Water and Absolutely

4. Craft Spells

Craft Spells isn't exactly a band. It's a guy named Justin Vallesteros (and a bunch of super great live musicians), from Seattle, Washington. Craft Spells is notorious for his instrumental intros to songs. If you're like me, you dig music with and without lyrics, it doesn't matter. Craft Spells' songs might be different than other alternative rock bands', but it's nice to find someone that really emphasizes on the musical aspect of songs.

Songs to listen to: After the Momentand Party

5. Atlas Genius

Atlas Genius is a band form Adelaide, South Australia. Two of the current band members are brothers, and from 2009-2012 they had a third brother in the band. This alt pop band never fails to come through. They have catchy hits, but they also have very down to earth, etherial songs. There isn't an occasion that couldn't be improved with some Atlas Genius.

Songs to listen to: Stockholm and Trojans

6. Saint Motel

Saint Motel is a band from Los Angeles, California. If you're looking for an even balance of indie rock and dream pop, you have to check out Saint Motel ASAP. I constantly find my self in awkward situations at stop lights because I'm hardcore dancing to My Type, and the drivers next to me are obviously judging my terrible dance moves. I can't help it, I feel obligated to dance every time I hear Saint Motel on the radio.

Songs to listen to: Move, My Type, and Cold Cold Man

7. Finish Ticket

Finish Ticket is a band from Alameda, California. They put the "rock," in "alternative rock," while still having an indie twist. Lead singer Brenden Hoye's vocals bear a remarkable similarity to those of Sameer Gadhia of Young the Giant. Obviously, if you can make your voice sound anything like Sameer Gadhia's, then you have an amazing voice. But if you ask me, Hoye's voice also sounds eerily similar to Walk the Moon's Nicholas Petricca. Two great artists smashed into one? I'm down.

Songs to listen to: Colorand Killing Me

8. COIN

COIN is a band of four from Nashville, Tennessee. COIN's music makes me want to go out for a long drive on a sunny afternoon and scream the lyrics out loud for everyone to hear. The moods of their songs are typically upbeat and happy, you know, the kind of music that you just have to sing along with. You should to listen to COIN the next time you go on a leisure drive.

Songs to listen to: Talk Too Much and Run

9. The Strumbellas

The Strumbellas are a six-membered band from Canada. If alt-indie music and country music could have a baby, that baby would be The Strumbellas. They're a fresh take on alternative music. They'll add some diversity to your playlist for sure.

Songs to listen to: Spirits and We Don't Know

10. The 1975

The 1975 is a band from Wimslow, Cheshire, England. Now, I have to admit, this is my all time favorite band. I could listen to The 1975 for the rest of my life without complaining. Their songs tell stories of depression, love, loss--and so much more--across all their albums. You can really see the band grow and change with their music. Lead singer and song writer, Matty Healy, basically reinvented The 1975 with some of the songs he wrote for their latest album, I Like It When You Sleep, For You Are So Beautiful Yet Unaware Of It. The 1975 is a band that should be on every alt rock lover's playlist.

Songs to listen to: Somebody Else, Robbers, She Way Out, Settle Down, andThe Sound

I've compiled a pretty awesome playlist with songs from all these great artists, so make sure to check it out on spotify. https://open.spotify.com/user/katestansb/playlist/...