Why You Should Travel Here
Travel

If You Have the Chance, Travel Here

One of the most beautiful sunrises you'll ever see.

123
Hannah Nugent
Hannah Nugent

You often hear the phrase "pictures don't do justice." Through my second trip to Acadia National Park, I found this quote to be true in every aspect. There were so many moments where I knew that all I could do was take in the scenery because no picture would ever capture the beauty that my eyes were seeing. While Acadia is full of so many incredible sights, if I could choose one sight, I'd choose Cadillac Mountain.

There's a certain feeling you get when you wake up for a sunrise that makes it so unique. It's quiet, it's peaceful and feels as if you're the only one in the world that's awake. Unfortunately, Cadillac Mountain is such a popular location for the sunrise that you are not able to be alone on the top of the mountain for sunrise. However, being united with all of those other people that woke up at 5 am is a pretty great feeling as well.

If you're up for a hike, then you can follow the North Ridge Trail to the summit of Cadillac Mountain. While it is a relatively simple hike, it may be something you want to do after sunrise, not before, unless you have headlamps. One of the many reasons I love Cadillac is because you can easily drive to the top of the mountain. It is a long and winding road to the top, but there are beautiful views and plenty of lookout spots to stop at along the way.

If you're heading there for sunrise, I suggest leaving early. There is a significant amount of parking spots at the top of the mountain as well as in the lookout areas, however, it is an extremely popular location. After the sun had risen the day that I went, there was about an hour of traffic that followed because there were so many cars parked anywhere they could fit. It's not something to worry about too much, because in the meantime you can just sit on the rocks and enjoy the view. I'd also suggest bringing blankets, when you're up that high it gets very windy.

Another thing that makes Cadillac Mountain unique is that it is the first place to see the sunrise in the United States. Sure, watching the sunrise anywhere is beautiful, but how many times can you say you were the first person in the U.S. to see the sunrise?

Despite all the people that may be on the mountain with you, it's still very easy to find your own place to sit and enjoy the sunrise on your own. It gives you a sense of serenity to be able to watch the beginning of a new day because it's not something you do every day. It gives you the chance to feel like you're starting over and that your day can continue to be as great as the sunrise. So if you have the chance, travel to Cadillac Mountain, sit with a blanket, watch the sky get light, and cheer with the crowd as you see the sun rise up and mark the start of a new day.