School spirit is a valuable trait

Stop Acting Like You're Too Cool To Have School Spirit

Newsflash: you don't look cool, you just look like a d**k.

25
Amelia Modes
Amelia Modes

It's Welcome Week and the beginning of a new academic year which means that there are plenty of events and involvement fairs happening on campus in attempts to get students involved. As a highly involved individual, I help execute some of these events as well as try to inform new (or returning) students about opportunities on campus.

While many people are genuinely interested and kind, I witness far too many people acting like they are too cool to be involved and/or participate in fun events, and it infuriates me. SO many people work hard to put on events and programs that will keep people interested and engaged, and for you to sit there and make fun of the people actually enjoying themselves is pathetic.

If you're a freshman or a transfer student, do not act too cool to be involved; you're choosing to miss out on amazing opportunities, new friends, and free stuff! College is all about trying new things, exploring different clubs, and enjoying yourself, so get out there! You're only selling yourself short by not getting more involved. If you try something and you hate, then fine, but stop refusing to go to events because they seem cheesy or nerdy. Having school spirit is fun!

Additionally, I think a lot of freshmen can get caught up in the party scene and trying to "show off" for their new friends. Trust me, I get it; parties are fun and so is meeting all the people at parties! However, most of the people you go out and get drunk with aren't going to turn into your lasting, genuine friendships from college. I'm not saying you can't become friends with the people you party with, but drunken conversations are likely to hold little weight and be forgotten in the morning. Try to meet people with common interests as you find the events and clubs that you're drawn towards.

Disinterest is not attractive, nor will it help you in college and beyond.

I would always rather be friends with the enthusiastic, passionate person than the one distancing themselves from showing any school spirit. You chose this school for a reason, so try to love all it has to offer you.