I Have No Idea What I Am Doing With My Life

Trying to figure out what to do after college is a lot like getting lost in a foreign city.

46
Let's Travel Somewhere

Being a college student, there is a world of possibilities and options waiting for you after graduation, but how are you supposed to know which life path is the right one for you? If you are reading this and were one of those students who graduated high school dead set on what you wanted to do with the rest of your life, then I am seriously envious of you. Please teach me your ways. But being the impulsive and indecisive person that I am, I have changed my mind and major numerous times. One day, I know exactly what my goals are and then the next, I am right back to questioning everything.

I was fortunate enough to be able to study abroad this semester in Venice, Italy. Having to adapt to a totally different country and culture is not an easy task. Not trying to be all philosophical over here, but going to a foreign country has made me realize a couple things about me trying to figure out I want to do with my life.

I know there are a fair amount of college student who struggle with finding what they want to do after they graduate. If you are like me, then you know what it feels like to be completely lost. Either being lost while trying to get somewhere or just lost in where you want to take your life, it is a scary feeling regardless. Life is full of choices and trying to figure out which choice to make can be the biggest struggle of the whole ordeal. The way that Venice is set up is that it is composed of a series of alley ways, squares and bridges. There are very few "main roads" in Venice, and even where the main areas are, they are so overly crowded it's hard to get from point A to point B.

Even though I got so lost multiple times, almost to the point of tears, I never did not make it to where I was trying to go. It may have taken me triple the amount of time it should have, and I may have been walking south when I should have been going north, but I made it. Being in this city has really reminded me that life is never just a straight shot from where you are now to where you want to be. You're going to get lost, you will choose to turn right when you really should have chosen to turn left and you will want to just stop moving and give up. But regardless, if you stop moving, you will never get anywhere.

Even though I find myself not knowing which direction I am going in more often than not, the important thing is that you do not stop moving. Even though you're unsure about if you are going in the right direction, it's OK. You will probably get lost, but regardless of how many wrong turns you take, you will eventually end up right where you need to be. You won't know what is around that next corner until you make the turn. Just keep moving forward.