Why I Hate The Cleveland Browns

Why I Hate The Cleveland Browns

A look into the recent decision-making of the Cleveland Browns.

206
Why I Hate The Cleveland Browns
Clevelandbrowns.com

I have watched football for as long as I can remember. And for as long as I can remember, I have always hated the Cleveland Browns. When I was younger, I would judge what team I would root for based on the same qualifications most girls use when picking a sports team: What their colors were, what their name was, and if their mascot was an animal or something else that I liked. Being dubbed the Browns was the first strike against Cleveland’s football team. I found it incredibly unoriginal, and if you were going to pick a color, why not pick a pretty color at least? (And yes, I realize that the name, voted upon by fans, was most likely after the football team’s first coach and general manager, Paul Brown.) Plus, with a name like the Browns, it doesn’t leave much creativity for the mascot. A helmet. How unique. As I got older, and my knowledge of football developed, I started to change my standards for picking who I rooted for. I started to find favorite players, observe the coaches' decisions, and watch for how the team played together and reacted under pressure. Once I started doing this, the Browns became no more favorable to me.

In 2014, the Browns drafted Johnny Manziel. I was never a Manziel fan in the first place; I thought he was talented and extremely athletic, but that he got lucky on runs and he lacked foresight and intelligence on the field. He was a spectacle to watch, though. When Manziel announced that he was entering in the 2014 draft, I immediately predicted his demise. He played a large running game that made him prone to injury, and his off-field behavior made him too much of a wildcard. I realized that if any team were to actually take a chance on the A&M’s pride and joy quarterback, it would be more of a publicity stunt. I personally dislike when teams make such moves. Feels too political, too Jerry Jones, and it distracts from the sport. Throughout the draft, the first teams were making smart decisions in my opinion and sidestepping Manziel. Then, the Browns traded up to the number 22 spot and stole the spotlight, drafting the young quarterback.

As I predicted, Manziel did not pan out in the NFL. He went from the locker room to the bench to rehab. Then, after two failed seasons, the Browns finally released Manziel. And I was proud. I thought to myself, maybe there’s hope for this franchise after all. Maybe they’re finally dedicating themselves to building a team off of good, hardworking players, and not notoriety. But then they went and picked up Robert Griffen III.

When I first saw on SportsCenter that the Browns signed RG3, I literally yelled, in a crowded restaurant, “But that is so stupid!” Now, I realize I’m coming off as a harsh critic towards the Browns, but you have to keep in mind that a) I’m passionate when it comes to football which causes me to be a bit severe in my opinions at times and b) this article is literally called “Why I Hate The Cleveland Browns,” so it shouldn’t be unexpected.

To be a bit fair to the Browns, I can understand a little bit of their rationale drafting RG3. He did have a great rookie season, which shows some NFL potential. His touchdown to interception ratio is decent considering the fact that he has a losing record in the league. He is coming in fully healthy due to not playing at all last season. Plus, the Browns just hired Hugh Jackson, a coach regarded as being great with quarterbacks.

Despite understanding a small angle of where the Browns are coming from, I still do not condone their choices. RG3 had a great rookie season, yes, but every season since has been insignificant. RG3 is considered a smaller player in the league, and he chooses to run the ball a majority of the time, which causes him to sustain a lot of injuries. So he either ends up on injured reserve for the season or he just isn’t fully himself when he plays. Coming in healthy is great and all, but when facing reality, that health isn’t going to last. Plus, while his touchdown to interception ration might not be deplorable, you still need to take into account that he has a losing record, which is never good.

In the end, I think picking up RG3 was a publicity stunt (because let's face it--how else is Cleveland going to attract attention at this point?) to stand in on the field while they draft another young quarterback who will sit back and learn the offense for a season or two. And I think it’s a terrible decision. I feel like they’re not going to get any real use out of RG3, and if RG3 does stay the full two years, then the Browns have wasted $15 million. And it’s this kind of decision making that reminds me why I absolutely hate the Cleveland Browns.