To The Hardworking Janitors That Clean Up My School

Thank you for everything.

44
Pepe Cabrera

One day as I was studying, I heard you whistling a happy tune. I also saw you squirting bleach from a squeaking spray bottle at stains on the old carpeted floor. I saw you scrub those stains with the toilet brush in your hand and I appreciated your attention to detail. All the time you were whistling enthusiastically and greeting everyone that walked by with a smile. I apologize for staring, but I was mesmerized by your selflessness and awakened to the thought that you were not the only one that helps to clean up my school, that there are more people just like you who serve us daily and receive little more than a paycheck as our thanks.

To you and the other hardworking janitors that clean up my school, thank you. Though I rarely see you, I know you are there. I see the evidence of your work as I go throughout my day. The trash bins are magically emptied and the bathrooms are cleaned. The trash we fail to make into bins is picked up, and the floors are swept, vacuumed, and cleaned.

Though I don’t know you personally, I reap the benefits of your handiwork at all hours of the day. Though you don’t know me, you serve me selflessly by dedicating yourself to cleaning up my messes and correcting my carelessness.

I can’t imagine how hard your work is or how often it goes unappreciated. You are called to clean up all kinds of messes, and you do it with a smile on your face. You are called to fix things that are broken, and you do it with love in your heart. You are called when people are in need, and you are there to help them always.

I want you to know that I appreciate all that you do. And I’m sorry for my carelessness throughout the years that makes you have to work harder. Thank you for your joy and your selfless love of people who you don’t even know. I thank you for your attention to detail and hard work. Thank you for serving and loving others with the works of your hands.

I know that a bunch of “thank you’s” will never be enough, but I wanted to let you know that I see what you are doing and I appreciate it all. I hope you feel the love I am sending to you today, and again, thank you, for all you do to help us all get through the day.