Being A Hardcore Gamer Is Perfectly Fine

It's a little nerdy, but what's wrong with that?

33
The Daily Dot

I’ve been a gamer for well over fifteen years now. Gaming is something that is a constant in my life, a pastime that I don’t think I’ll ever get sick of or throw away. Now I know that’s not the most original thing you’ve ever heard concerning people who play video games--I mean, any gamer in the country or in the world could say the same thing, and they probably do--but originality isn’t really the point I’m trying to get at.

I freely admit that I play games for long periods of time, usually a couple hours or so. I’m also pretty savvy with gamer-speak and really enjoy talking about video games. I’m pretty nerdy when it comes to knowledge of and discussion about video games. I’m a hardcore gamer.

I’m also a high-functioning human being, not a barely-cognitive zombie. I do actually see the sun on most occasions; my room is not the only place I like to be. I have a loving family, friends, and acquaintances, all of whom I try to be social with. Maybe I could stand to be a little more extroverted, but I talk. I’m not always quiet.

I can put down the games for a while and enjoy life.

Why do I say all that all of a sudden? Well, it’s because of stereotypes. You’ve heard them before. The idea that video games rot your brain. The idea that gamers shelter themselves in their rooms, playing for hours on end, munching their Doritos and feverishly chugging their Mountain Dew. The idea that gamers are antisocial, closed off, distant, or too weird to be around.

The most surprising thing of all? All of those stereotypes, all of those negative things, were things that video games helped me avoid.

Learning how to beat boss fortresses in Super Mario World required an awful lot of brainpower, and sharpened my hand-eye coordination to boot. Playing games like Street Fighter II taught me the value of friendly competition and helped me connect with my siblings and friends. Video games help me relieve stress, not get away from people, and I can guarantee you I’m not so far out of the ordinary that I’m ineligible to talk to you. And I certainly don’t chug down Mountain Dew or eat Doritos while playing games. It’s too messy.

The moral of the story? Don’t look down on us gamers because we like to game. It’s simply a hobby, a simple escape from the doldrums of everyday life, and--for some--even a sport. So to criticize gamers by applying such labels is to insult millions of people around the world who just want to experience the joy of interactive entertainment and in most cases share that joy with others.

If you ask me, having an interest in games or having as much of an interest in them as I do is not weird or indicative of social communication problems. It’s perfectly normal. It’s like those sports fanatics who can’t stop talking about their favorite team and their stats or history. It’s like those individuals who eagerly follow the celebrity news to see whether Kim Kardashian or Taylor Swift is in the headline. It’s like those fanatics who love to watch movies and talk about them--another category that yours truly happens to fall under.

Gaming is something that people like--a hobby. Plain and simple.

I’ve never been one to hide my interests because they are what makes me distinct. I think that being a hardcore gamer is something to be proud of and share, not hide like it’s some kind of disorder or social taboo. So I won’t hide it, and if you’re a gamer, you shouldn’t either.