My Happy Place

My Happy Place

There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy.

9
My Happy Place
Lindsey McCauley

It was by serendipity that I found myself in the woods of Northern Maine.

I had meandered away from my vacationing with the goal of finding mental clarity, but instead was gifted with a kingdom of twisting trails, beaten down paths, and overgrown foliage. Strolling through the woods I was overcome with happiness, intense curiosity, and a craving to explore.

The majority of my time in the woods was not spent at a slow stroll, but a fast paced trot. The woods were my refuge as I dodged the pulsing sun. As twigs broke under my feet, thorns brushed at my ankles, and rocks caused me to stutter step, the sun was relentless. Nature had no time for the clock, but the watch was my best friend.

Each day on vacation I set aside time to seek refuge in my kingdom. Each day I made sure to reach a new checkpoint in the woods. One day my goal would be to run to the start of the brook, the next I would reach the stream which danced between the moss-covered rocks. While exploring I always made sure to leave an unknown; the anticipation I felt between each venture pushed me as my travels through the woods became longer.

Running through the woods never became easier, but exploration became more comfortable. At first when I entered the woods I was afraid to journey too far: I had no idea how its trails would twist and turn, whether it was billowing with wild animals or merely speckled with the occasional chipmunk. I had a fear that I would get lost in its clutches. However, as the trails began to be sculpt by the patter of my feet I felt safe in the woods. In the middle of nowhere, surrounded by trees three or four times my size, a brook murmuring alongside me, and no sign of a clock or civilization: I felt content.

In the backwoods of Maine I was given the opportunity to explore. I was gifted with a spanning oasis which allowed for my instinctive curiosity and drive to be put to use. There in the woods I could run, jog, walk, or sprint at my leisure. The initial excitement of unearthing a new discovery in the woods is one which cannot be accurately portrayed. I felt pride as I ventured through the woods, my running allowed for me to explore. If I could find such wonders in the backwoods of Maine, I can not imagine what the rest of the world has in store.

My happiness in the woods of Maine stemmed from its ability to allow peace of mind. The woods reminded me to enjoy the smaller objects in life, but to be conscious of the larger bodies as well. The simplicity of the woods was captivating, but its veiled complexity intrigued and frightened me in the same breath. In the woods of Maine, I was perfectly content.