Halloween: The Underrated Holiday

Halloween: The Underrated Holiday

Why I think Halloween Is An Important Holiday

8
Halloween: The Underrated Holiday
Brian Wu

Probably one of the most, if not the most, underrated holidays is Halloween. It still pisses me off that we don't get a break for Halloween. Halloween is great! Dress up and have fun. What's not to love? A lot of people think trick-or-treating when they think Halloween and they are right to think so. Halloween has a warm familiar feeling beating all your friends at finding the coolest costume at Target or Walmart or Costco or, if your parents really loved you, Party City. Showing up to the neighborhood feeling like a boss in your Green Power Ranger costume, because everyone knows the Green Ranger is coolest. The nights of when you and your friends go to your house and look at all your profit for the day and engage in financial transactions, trying to get all the good stuff and praying one of your friends likes the nasty candies. Seriously, who trades a Twix for an Almond Joy. Effing insane in the mainframe. Futurama reference.

Anyways, Halloween provides us to many happy memories from our childhood. Like, those nights when you and your friends find the house that just leaves a bowl outside, so you double fist it and dip ASAP before anyone notices. Ah, memories. And Halloween isn't just for kids too. Let's be honest, we're in college and Halloween parties are hella dope. Expensive sometimes for broke college students on a budget but still want to look cute for themselves and the people at the party, but dope. For guys, its an excuse to look at hot girls for an extended period of time and not be labeled as a perv. "Oh, I'm just admiring your costume. I love the claw marks on your boobs." Sure, whatever. Good luck bro. For girls, it's an excuse to show some serious cleavage, booty, and skin without being labeled as a slut since everyone else is doing it. "I'm a Playboy bunny. Doesn't my little tail look cute?" Right, that's what you want me to stare at.

Lowkey, Halloween helps relax people and open them up. Some girls would never wear something so revealing on the daily, but for Halloween, who effing cares? Some guys would never let themselves look so goofy, but Halloween calls for "eff it." Now going back to childhood, going to school on Halloween was a school day you could never miss, and if Halloween was made a day off, you wouldn't get to enjoy that anymore, right? Wrong mofo. You still get to celebrate Thanksgiving themed classes and Christmassy themed classes, but you never go to school on the actually days of.

The same can be done for Halloween. All that fun class stuff can be done the day before Halloween. I guess that'd be Halloween Eve. And because Halloween can be in the middle of the week some years, it can get pretty tricky, but we don't give Veteran's Day any crap. Halloween is an important holiday for our kids and for college students and even adults. When you're all grown up and you hear the doorbell on that special night, seeing all those kids in their adorable costumes will bring back memories of your childhood Halloweens and make your heart melt. So vote yes for Proposition 31. (Not a real proposition.)