9 Movies To Watch At A Halloween Movie Night

Finish the evening with a fantastic flick

13

Let's face it — Halloween is not the same without a good, spooky or scary movie to finish off a sugar coma or wind down from an evening costume party. People have produced many great Halloween movies that only receive attention during Oct. 31, so it is the perfect time to recognize these hidden treasures. They simply does not carry the same nostalgic mood when you watch them during another season. Check out these 10 great Halloween-related films and wind down after the evening's activities conclude.

1. Ghostbusters

"Who ya gonna cal... GHOSTBUSTERS!"

You probably shouted this at the top of your lungs with friends at some point. This supernatural comedy film is just as great as the memorable theme song. Three parapsychologists band together after ghost invasions occur in Manhattan and start a paranormal investigation and extermination business called "GhostBusters," which they operate out of a firehouse. Follow this comedic bunch and find out what happens when humans try to eliminate the supernaturals.

2. Casper

I loved watching this movie as a young kid because every fictitional ghost except Casper scared me. Carrigan Crittenden inherits her father's old mansion and almost sells it, but she later discovers a treasure map. However, a group of ghosts does not openly welcome her, so she hires exorcist Dr. James Harvey to shoo them away. Harvey moves into the mansion with his daughter, Kat, who discovers a friendly spirit among the few — Casper, a young boy's ghost. Watch this flick and discover how a kind little ghost tries to convince his relatives to show kindness towards humans.

3. The Corpse Bride

Get ready for a sing-along that the popular Tim Burton directs. In this stop-motion-animation film, Victor Van Dort and Victoria Everglot live in a Victorian village are arranged to marry. Things do not go well when Victor forgets his vows at the wedding rehearsal, so he retreats to the woods and practices them alone. He then places his wedding ring on a tree root and an unexpected surprise locks him into a marriage between the Land of the Living and Land of the Dead.

4. The Nightmare before Christmas

Two clashing worlds — Halloween and Christmas — collide in this movie, which Burton also directs. It tells the story of the pumpkin King of Halloweentown, Jack SIlverton (voiced by Danny Elfman), who stumbles upon Christmas town after boredom causes him to explore uncharted territory. He discovers a new passion and attempts to convince his fellow town residents to help put on Christmas instead of Halloween. As expected, spooky and jubilant do not mesh well, creating a conflict between Silverton and Santa that viewers will find humorous. If you didn't get enough music from "The Corpose Bride" bust outcatchy tunes like "This is Halloween" with your friends.

5. Goosebumps

This live-action movie, based on the popular book series, released in theatres last year (2015). However, it holds an interesting twist — the film tells the story of the Goosebumps writer, R.L. Stine, instead of focusing on a particular novel. A teen named Zach moves into the house neighboring the author and desires to befriend his daughter. However, Stine refuses any company because his house contains a bookshelf full of enchanted stories that allow characters come to life if someone opens the books. Curiosity overtakes Zach, and his decision causes fictional characters to come alive. What happens when Goosebump characters infiltrate reality? Grab a copy of this movie and find out during Halloween night.

6. Scooby Do: Where Are You! : The Complete First and Second Seasons

Scooby Doo was my childhood cartoon. I rode my white and pink bike home from elementary school in fourth grade, flung my shoes outside the door, ran to the TV, and turned on Cartoon Network. Scooby and the gang's next mystery could not wait — I immediately had to discover how they would defend justice and stop the criminals. The series perfectly fits Halloween with ghost encounters and other spooky situations. You may be an adult, but this popular cartoon remains timeless and knows no age limits. Go ahead — take a study break and hold a Scooby marathon with your dormmates and friends.

7. Beetlejuice

This movie is definitely creepy enough and will not suit everyone — I could barely stand it the first time I watched it. The flick is about two dead ghosts, Adam and Barbara, who inhabit their previous home and refuse to let a new couple buy it. Regardless, the family moves in and deals with their presence, so the ghosts seek assistance from a mischievous spirit named Beetlejuice, who looks as quirky as his name suggests. Get ready to laugh and witness Beetlejuice's comedic attempts to deter the family.

8. It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown touched many generations. You may have enjoyed his movies as a child, but your parents also grew up with the cherished cartoon character. In this special, all the Peanut characters celebrate Halloween with various festivities while Linus skips the fun and waits for The Great Pumpkin. Grab the candy stash, press play, and celebrate this film's 50th anniversary this Halloween with your family other Charlie fans.

9.The Addams Family

Everyone has probably sang or heard the words "It's the Addams Family" at some point. This movie was based off Charles Addams' cartoons. Although it's not as spooky as other Halloween specials, its story line and odd characters do not disappoint, especially since the odd tale contains an unforseen twist near the end. A man named Fester claims he is Gomez Adams' missing brother, but the family realizes that he is an imposter who aims to evict them from their home and gain their family fortune. Who is Fester, really? Wait no longer to find out.