How The True Lessons I Learned From Gymnastics Shaped Me

“Shoulders straight, chin up, stay confident and smile"

312
Marla Levey

Gymnastics. Even the sound of the word fills my heart with joy. From an outside perspective, the sport is simply young girls in leotards and ponytails effortlessly performing tricks to perfection. What one does not see on the television, however, is the true beauty of the sport, the training gyms where individuals transform from young children into mentally and physically tough athletes. It is here where they learn lessons and build character traits preparing themselves for the rest of their lives, to face any obstacles that may stand in their way.

"Shoulders straight, chin up, stay confident and smile." These words were instilled in my mind since the age of two. Within five years I was training four hours a day, six days a week, and traveling extensively. Time management was crucial. Homework was done in the car and studying on the mats in between sessions. This became my routine, a new lifestyle, a huge commitment. Prioritizing was essential. I sacrificed my social life to be successful in gymnastics and school. Pep rallies? Homecoming? Parties? I was training, always.

At Phoenix Gymnastics, I became exposed to the real world of competitive gymnastics. My new instructors were strict, yet passionate Eastern European coaches, a far cry from the "motherly" figures I had been used to. My eyes opened to the world of injuries and eating disorders, as well as the constant scrutinizing of our bodies. After a while, these things took a toll on me physically and mentally and my own injuries began to mount. Stress fractures, chipped bones, "kissing ribs;" you name it, I had it. I was no stranger to MRI's, medical boots, and physical therapy sessions. Little did I know that this was just the beginning of the changes my life was about to face.

In May of 2014, my parents divorced, my world was shattered. My father moved out of the house, the change was drastic; my prior support system disintegrated. Emotionally, socially and financially we struggled. Not six months later, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. As the oldest of four, I took on a new role in the lives of my siblings, an almost second mother. Balance became essential. School, gymnastics, family, and I often became a jumbled mess. However, without even realizing it, I was able to lean on some of the lessons I learned in gymnastics. Responsibility, mental toughness, and independence became more than just catch phrases. They became the new mantra for my life. Gymnastics also taught me to prioritize. Sadly, it was during this time that I had to step away from the sport I loved so dearly.

Gymnastics has given me so much more than just medals, trophies, death-defying skills and injuries. I learned the value of respect, the importance of discipline and proper nutrition, and the will to keep my body clean and healthy. It taught me that you get out of life exactly what you put into it. I learned how to mentally push myself to face adversity. These many lessons were proven invaluable to me when facing life's uphill battles. When my parents divorced and my mother was diagnosed, I leaned on the lessons of balance, consistency, and integrity. When we struggled financially, I turned to the value of teamwork, sacrifice, grace under pressure, and poise. The irony of it all is that without these obstacles, I may never have known the true value of my gymnastics education. "Shoulders straight, chin up, stay confident and smile."