Having girl friends as a guy
Life Stages

5 Reasons why being a guy with girl friends is the best

It's cool to hang with the guys, but sometimes your life just needs a woman's touch.

401
Personal Photo

There is a stereotype that if you're a guy with the majority of your friends being girls then you must be gay. Well to all those who do think that, you are making a very wrong assumption. Although that may be the case for many guys, it's not the situation for me at all. There are many perks to having girls as your friends, and sometimes, they end up being some of your best friends. Here are five reasons why I love having girl friends...

1. You learn more about girls in 5 minutes while with them than you do living with your dad your entire life.

Don't get me wrong, I love my dad. He tries to give me "girl advice" all the time and sometimes it makes sense, and sometimes he gets it all wrong. What I've learned from having so many girl friends is that I know what NOT to do when I'm in a relationship. "Hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn," oh yeah, but try being behind the scenes and you'll get the best dating advice just from sitting and observing unfolded situations. They help us see how girls REALLY think, where a girlfriend might disguise this for a potential suitor. Girl friends help us men, as the clearly dumber and more inferior gender, get things right before doing it wrong.

2. Girl friends teach us about the hundreds of personalities each girl can have.

A girlfriend might try to hide her bad sides to please you, but a girl friend is going to go crazy on you just because she feels like it. There is no sugarcoating a girl friend; you get her for what she is, and she's not afraid to show you. Even having your sister as your best friend can make you realize that as much as girls like to make us think they have it all together, they don't.

3. They are the best for FREE therapy.

Let's be real, in our culture it's easy to get sucked into the whole "guys can't have emotion" thing. You try to have a heart to heart with your guy friends, but frankly it's like talking to a brick wall sometimes (especially if they have never gone through situations themselves or they really don't care). Having girl friends means you can rant, they will rant, and then after ranting you go on food runs to the closest and cheapest fast food restaurant. It's the best, and sometimes that's all you need to make your day better.

4. They want to make you better, not perfect.

Girl friends who are real with you will give you that blunt truth, especially if you ask for it. I have learned so much about myself because of the fact that girls can see things that guys would not see, or judge you because of it. Because you're not in a relationship with them, they're not trying to make you a better companion. Instead, they are more focused on making you a better person.

5. The friendships can possibly lead to something more.

With a girl friend, sometimes you learn so much about each other that something bigger and better does come out of it. Meeting someone with the intention of a relationship is very different than meeting someone with the intention of a simple friendship. If you're pursuing, you interact differently. You will only allow certain parts of yourself to show and your transparency will occur later down the road for some topics. You are just able to connect with her differently and possibly better than some random guy who hits on her, just because she's cute or currently single. Having girl friends opens up the possibility that because you've been honest and truthful and yourself from the get-go, you become your truest and best self around them.