Guide to Surviving Mid Summer’s Brutal Heat Waves

Late July and Early August have brought in some of the highest record temperatures in the country. Here is a simple guide anyone can use to stay safe this season.

6

We've finally reached the peak season for high temperatures and extremely humid conditions. In the west, Southern California is expecting temperatures to break over 90 and touch in the 100s, while in the East, cities like Boston are hitting brutal record highs.

Everyone expects summer to come the nice warm weather that's perfect for adventuring outdoors or hanging by the pool. But it also can cause significant damage, and sadly the heat has taken many lives in the past. In 2018, the biggest contributor to weather related death around the East Coast was heat stroke, which ended up taking the lives of 108 victims.

For people that live in areas that see temperatures that easily jump over 90 on average, or for those folks who live without an AC unit often, you might find summer to be a more of burden and a dangerous situation rather than a fun time.

If you need to go into survival mode for the season, here is a simple guide anybody can use to survive the mid-summer heat. We listed some good tips we found and used to keep us cool.

Surviving the Heat Wave

giphy.com

Always stay hydrated!

Dehydration occurs when you are overexposed to the sun's heat. When you sweat your body loses water. For those that like to be active in the sun must be aware of the signs of dehydration. For those who sit around the house all day during summer, they should be cautious of dehydration too. Just because you're safe inside and away from the sun, doesn't mean you shouldn't hydrate properly.

Rule of thumb: always drink 8 ounces of water on average per day. Don't ignore thirst. Always have access to water.

Avoid drinking alcohol, soda and coffee in excess

giphy.com

Without Air Conditioning?

Stuck in a home with no central A/C? We pity you. But don't worry, here are some clever ways you can work around this.

• If capable, go visit local places, buildings and businesses with AC that will let you hang out for a long time. Usually coffee shops are a chill spot to hang and bring your laptop.
  • Make a DIY AC unit: There are a few simple setups for a homemade AC unit, and all it requires is a fan and a container of ice water
  • If you have a two-story living space, best try to stay on the first floor. Heat rises which means upstairs gets hotter. It's a bit unfortunate for those living in +3 floor apartments.
  • Use your Freezer! Sounds crazy but try putting clothing or bed sheets in there for a while.

Be Careful with Cars!

• Currently, over 21 lives have been taken by heat exhaustion in a car. Parents and pet owners must never leave their children and pets inside a parked vehicle. Not even for a minute.
  • Another danger with cars is the increase in roadside car collisions. Hot weather can surprisingly increase the chances of car accidents and injuries. Extreme cases of heat have the potential to distract a driver from focusing. So, drive with extra caution.

Know the Symptoms of heat stroke

giphy.com

• When the temperature gets over 90, people must take extreme caution when it comes to heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Here are the symptoms of an individual who is suffering from this.
  • Lack of sweat in high temperatures
  • Rapid breathing
  • Fatigue
  • Disorientation and confusion
  • Flushed look in the face

If you notice anyone with these symptoms, try to help encouraging them to hydrate and help lower their body temperature with icepacks. If a person who has been exposed to prolonged sun exposure faints or collapses call 911 immediately.