Growing Up In A Not-So-Southern Family

Growing Up In A Not-So-Southern Family

A buggy? So a horse-drawn carriage?

53
Growing Up In A Not-So-Southern Family
Tumblr

My mom was an army brat; she lived in several states and even Germany for many years. My dad was born and raised in Chicago. It was not until after I was born that my family moved down to good ole Georgia. Growing up around people whose families had been in the south for many years caused me to notice and question many southern concepts. From sweet tea to buggies, here is a list of those southern traditions that may tickle those growing up Southern in a not-so-Southern family.

1. The sweet tea addiction

Because my family never made or bought sweet tea, it wasn't until high school that I was finally convinced to try the mystical drink. I'm the only one in my family that enjoys the nectar, and let me tell you, it now runs in my veins. This is one tradition I completely understand.

2. Shopping cart or buggy?

The first time I heard someone call a shopping cart a buggy, I was royally confused. In my mind, I was looking for a horse drawn carriage. Readers, why is it called a buggy?

3. Southern pride

I simply do not understand the amount of pride southerners have for being southern. Everywhere go, I see Simply Southern shirts (don't get me wrong, these are adorable) and shirts with "Georgia Pride" sprawled across the chest or back. Southerners are so proud of living in the south. I've also seen the phrase "Country Strong" on an array of merchandise. Is there something Southerners need to stand strong against? The world may never know...

4. Muddin'

I've never been, but I have heard from many people that it is immensely fun. Honestly, I don't see how driving through piles of mud and dirt could not be fun. This is on my to do list.

5. Welcome to the Bible Belt

Southerners definitely love their sweet tea and Jesus Christ. With such a dense population of Baptists (churches on every corner), sometimes I feel like the odd Catholic out. Baptists and southerners also know their Bible verses extremely well — Bible verses are on shirts, purses, wallets, you name it. Southern Baptists know how to get down to praise and worship the Lord.

6. Southern cookin'

Oh boy, I love southern cooking. A huge thanks to the south for its cooking styles. Cornbread and fried chicken are my favorites and my sister loves grits. While I have never tasted collard greens, I am sure that some day I will end up feeling brave. What are your favorite southern recipes?

7. Country music

I will admit that I went through a country stage in middle school. My friends and I listened to country music and lived in cowgirl boots. I don't listen to country music anymore, but there are still a few songs that I will blast until my speakers burst. Johnny Cash anyone?

8. "Hey y'all!"

In early high school, "y'all" become part of my vocabulary for a short time, until I realized I sounded ridiculous saying it. I was just too anal about grammar and not southern enough.

9. Southern roots

While in high school, I came to the realization that many families I knew had been in my hometown for generations. I honestly cannot imagine living in one town my entire life. I'm too restless for that and long to explore the world while I'm young. Any thoughts? Why do so many southerners stay with their roots?

10. Southern hospitality

Southern hospitality is unlike any other hospitality. True to their roots, southerners are kind hearted and giving people. Southern hospitality is one tradition that makes complete sense. What makes you southern?