16 Truths About Growing Up In A Small Midwestern Town

16 Big Moods You Catch Growing Up In A Small Town

A stranger asks you, "Where are you from?" Then, five seconds later, they say, "Where's that?"

4774
Gabby Sheets

I grew up in Sugar Grove, Ohio, a village that is about 45 minutes from Columbus. It is so small that it isn't considered a town. No, it is a village. Sugar Grove is home to a general store, a bar, a barbershop, several little churches, and a school that is preschool through 12th grade called Berne Union.

I attended Berne Union for the majority of my lifetime. I walked around the same school building for over 12 years of my life. If I had wanted to, I could have gone down the line of students in my graduating class, named every one of them (middle name included), and listed off something stupid they did in the second grade. Teachers were sometimes the parents of my friends, or, in my case, one of my parents. If I ever needed somewhere to go after school I could walk the five minutes to the general store or to one of the many houses in the village that belonged to family friends. Nearly everyone in town could be considered a family friend.

Sugar Grove is one of those small towns you see featured as the hometown in any Hallmark movie of your choosing. It's cute. It's homey. It's small.

And this is what I learned from growing up in a place like this.

1. If you do something stupid, EVERYBODY will know about it by the end of the day

You just have to accept this and go on with your rebellious teenage years. When the principal is one of your friend's dads, the word is gonna get around that you tried to steal a road sign right outside of the school.

2. The high school will always be the hot spot in town

This is probably because the number of students going to this school is well above the village's entire population. It is also the biggest venue in town for anything and everything to happen, and it always will be.

3. Everybody is related to everybody

There aren't that many people in town to begin with. The families that do live here had kids that had kids of their own that married their next-door neighbors who just decided to have a baby. Everyone has cousins, and they all live in the same small town.

4. The dating pool is small, and a lot of people just stay out of it

You can probably remember when the cute guy that's in all your classes ate glue in Kindergarten. You don't wanna date that guy. Oh, that cute person in the corner? He's your cousin.

5. HOWEVER, that same dating pool produces A LOT of high school sweethearts 

There are so many couples in town that are able to say they met in high school then settled down no more than a few miles away. My best friend has been dating her high school boyfriend ever since they met our sophomore year. When the dating pool works out after all, it is very successful a lot of times.

6. You will have to go to another town for pretty much everything

Want some chicken nuggets? Get on the highway, my friend, because there is definitely no McDonald's in town let alone a gas station.

7. The community treats high school sports like the pro-level, and they always will

The school colors are just as common as red, white, and blue in small towns. Every sporting event has at least one man in the bleachers with a cowbell and at least a few high school girls with the school colors dotted on their faces.

8. The hottest concert in town will always be that of one of the school's bands

This is partially because of lack of venues for any concert to come to. Also, most people have no idea this town exists. However, the band is also THE GREATEST BAND ON EARTH, or so the band parents shout from the audience. Band is a lifestyle in small towns, not a hobby.

9. New people in town are just friends you haven't met yet

Everyone will be talking about the new guy in town as soon as the U-Haul drives onto main street or one of their kids pops up in the high school. There might as well be an alert system for new people because everyone knows you are in town the INSTANT you move in if not sooner. However, no worries, everyone is extremely friendly. Expect at least one plate of cookies delivered to your doorstep as a welcome from your kind-hearted neighbors.

10. Tractors will disrupt your drive to school/work at least once a month

Just expect it. It is a way of life. If you're lucky, there will be a dashed line in the center of the street. If not, just stick it out and you'll make it past the cornfield in no time. Unless it is "drive your tractor to school day"... This does not exist in my town, but it actually does in Bowling Green, OH.

11. There will always be someone to give you a ride

You know everyone in town. Just call your friend or your friend's mom or your friend's mom's friend. Someone will drive you to band practice.

12. Traditions are LAW

As an example, in Sugar Grove, the high school seniors TP the entire town. Everyone in town knows about it, and they live for it. If it didn't happen there would be a more than fair share of disappointment flooding the village. Follow the traditions, people!

13. People will ask, "Where are you from?" Then immediately say, "Where's that?"

You — "About 45 minutes South of Columbus"

Them — "Oh, OK!"

This will happen to you whenever you leave your town. It's truly unavoidable.

14. Walking down the street almost always feels safe

Small towns are safer than big towns and are especially safer than cities. While I never suggest that anyone walk alone late at night, it might not be as bad if it is a one minute walk right on by your grandparents' house across the street.

15. People will assume you are a "redneck"' and there's nothing you can do about it

Students would wear camouflage hunting gear to our high school sports games and call our town "Sugartucky." I don't own a single article of camo clothing. No shame to those who do of course.

16. You will always have a support system

You will know everyone in town. They will all know you. Some will know you from birth, others will teach your seventh-grade English class. Everyone grows to love each other. So, "small but mighty" is definitely real because there is no stopping a small town on a mission, especially when it is to help one of their own. I have witnessed this myself, and that is why I am so proud of where I grew up.