Growing Pains
Life Stages

Growing Pains

They say the "real world" like what we have been doing for the past 20-something years of our lives wasn't real.

82
https://www.pexels.com/photo/white-and-yellow-flower-with-green-stems-36764/

I am at a point in my life right now where I am actually (physically and mentally) feeling the growth that is taking place. As a recent college graduate, I am at a point where things are changing all around me. I will no longer be considered a student and I will soon be starting the daily routine of the "real world"

They say the "real world" like what we have been doing for the past 20 something years of our lives wasn't real. News flash, it was. The way that I perceive that comment is not that we are coming out of this fantasy land, but we are starting a new way of life. A life without school, where we are soon expected to move out and be on our own and do "adult" things like getting a credit card and a car payment.

Remeber having growth sprits in elementary school and sometimes your legs would hurt for no reason? Well, it is sort of the same thing. We feel the sadness of leaving college, and the fear of what's next. The transition to a full-time job and learning the wonders of health insurance and starting a 401K.

As exciting as the thought of having a great paycheck and being able to live freely without the responsibilities of homework and class registration, it is scary to think that we will soon be no longer dependent on our parents, the people who guided us every step of the way, and one day, they will start having to depend on us.

As someone who meditates every day, I spend a lot of time reflecting. As this change is taking place, I feel as if (and many of you can relate to this) that I can clearly see the growth that took place over the last four years. I can actually pinpoint events and things that happened where I actually grew. You, me and everyone else you know is not the same person they were four years ago.

Change isn't comfortable for anyone. It is scary and sometimes can be frustrating and nervewracking, but embrace each and every growing pain. You are blossoming. Embrace it. Just like every other time in life change took place, you grew from it. Know that in another few years, you will be able to look back and reflect on the things that happened, the way you felt and especially how it played a part in creating the person you are today.

I've said it once, I'll say it again, and I actually even based my entire commencement address off of it: Nothing grows inside your comfort zone.