True Story, A Group Of 2nd Graders Changed Me

How volunteering strengthened my relationship with Jesus.

391
Krista Bauer

The Great Commission as Christians is to make disciples and spread the gospel across the nations. Growing up in the church, I was always involved in some sort of service within the church. Once I got to high school, I was able to become a group leader for a group of kids in elementary. I wouldn't regret becoming their leader for a second.

My home church is First Christian Church in Greensburg, IN. I have gone here my whole life and can say it is my second home. I feel very a part of the congregation and know many people that walk through the door. I was involved in many things in my church growing up like going to youth group, Sunday school, and youth choir. As I neared high school, my role kind of changed.

I was given the opportunity to serve a group of 2nd graders on Wednesday nights. I was their leader all four years of my high school career, and now they are in Jr. High. Coming to college and not being able to be there on Wednesday nights has been hard. I became very invested in "my kids'" lives and felt I was missing out on what they are up to once I got to college. I really miss them!

Being a group leader made me more accountable with my faith because I felt like it was my job to really show these kids how a peer older than themselves should have a relationship with Jesus. Even though some of them would say I was the one that taught them, I would say they were actually the ones that changed me. Today, thanks to the last four years of being their group leader, I gained some awesome friends that still come up and hug me and ask how I am.

Serving others has always been a passion of mine, and I am so happy to look back and see the impact I have had on the kids. I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for my time volunteering in high school in the Children's ministry at FCC.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." Matthew 28:19