Let's Talk: Should 'Grease' Be Banned, Or Is It Just An Artifact Of Its Time?

Not everyone is so hopelessly devoted to 'Grease', and here's why.

388

Recently, I was scrolling through Facebook when I came across a post about how some social media users want the movie 'Grease' banned. This all started back at the end of December, when 'Grease' aired on Boxing Day (December 26th). People gathered around their TVs to watch the classic romantic musical highlighting a high school love affair. Like 'High School Musical'? Not exactly.

For anyone who hasn't seen this seventies film that takes place in the fifties, 'Grease' is about a summer romance gone wrong. Young Danny and Sandy had a summer fling when his family visited Australia over the summer, only for Sandy to unexpectedly end up at his high school as an exchange student. That's good, right?

Well, not completely. Danny's high school persona is a little bit different from that of the summer. He's the leader of a black leather jacket-wearing clique, the T-Birds, and has a reputation to uphold. Straight-laced Sandy joins The Pink Ladies, a tight-knit group of girls. Is this new Danny still into Sandy, and is she still into him? The movie follows their love story and all the friendships in-between.

'Grease' was under fire for being misogynistic, rapey, and homophobic. Which, to be fair, is totally accurate. Viewers were upset by a few particular things. First of all, the line "Did she put up a fight?" is sung in "Summer Nights" and asks about Sandy's response to their intimate endeavors over the summer. Sexist.

Next, one character, Rizzo, was shamed in the film for having unprotected sex. Such comments are sexist and representative of slut-shaming. Additionally, the lack of LGTBQ+ representation was not only noticeable but literally pointed out by a character in the film.

Naturally, of course, there's another side. Other social media users complained about the "snowflakes" wanting to ban 'Grease' from television. These users seem to think those who are upset are too woke to function and just want something to complain about.

Oh, America. Always so opinionated.

Now, both sides seem to be on to something. From the perspective of those who are upset, 'Grease' is not politically correct in today's world. It is sexist, homophobic, rapey, and more. It would absolutely not fly if written today. And it makes sense not to want such a film on TV so accessible to young and easily-influenced minds.

Though I do feel I ought to mention that I watched this film as a child and like to think I turned out OK. But I have sensible parents who told me I shouldn't ever change myself to please a BOY. As with every other movie we watched, they educated me on what's OK and what is not throughout the entirety of the film. But yes, some are not so lucky or may stumble across the film when no one older and wiser is around.

To the point of the "snowflake" haters, some folks might be getting a little trigger happy with their banning things. Not to mention, 'Grease' is indicative of its time and was once not problematic.

In my opinion, we need to find common ground and compromise. It should be recognized that 'Grease' sends many bad messages and is not politically correct. And that is not for the sake of being upset over stupid things or being too liberal. That is because it is never OK to treat someone differently because of their sex or their gender. It is never OK to slut-shame a girl because her choices look different than yours.

People aren't upset about nothing. They are upset because these are real and everyday issues. Individuals are constantly made to feel lesser because of who they are, and I think that everyone should agree that that is no way, shape, or form acceptable.

However, I agree that some folks are a little too quick to jump to the solution of banning. I don't think banning the film fixes the problems presented, but rather just erases them. I do think that this calls for a discussion. One where we establish that there are problems with the film, and that much of the behavior in the film should not be repeated in today's world. We can discuss ways in which to address these problems and ensure a better world today and in the future.