11 Graphic Novels For Beginners

11 Graphic Novels For Beginners

If you ever wanted to read some comic books, but never have, here are some for you to read.

471
11 Graphic Novels For Beginners
DC Comics

Comic book movies are a guaranteed success at the box office, unless it’s the new “Fantastic Four.” A lot of the inspiration for these movies come from story lines from previously established from comic books. If you want to read comics so you can be informed about your favorite heroes and other important graphic novels to the comic book world.

1. "Watchmen" by Alan Moore and Dave Gibson

Considered to be not only the greatest graphic novel of all time, but this is considered to be one of the best novels of all time. The novel is about a vigilante named Rorschach investigating the murder of his former colleague, The Comedian. It’s set in an alternate 1985 where Richard Nixon is still president. This is all I can say about the story without spoiling any plot details of the story.

2. "Sin City" by Frank Miller

This seven-part series by Frank Miller is a collection of stories that follows characters living in Basin City, dealing with the corruption of the church and state and vengeance. Each of the seven novels has character interwoven to connect the stories together.

3. "Batman: The Killing Joke" by Alan Moore

Considered to be the definitive Joker and Batman story lines, Alan Moore shows what happens when someone has just one bad day. “The Killing Joke” also give us the definitive backstory to The Joker. It’s tragic, disturbing, and a short read for anyone wanting to get into Batman.

4. "The Death of Superman" by Dan Jurgens

In 1992, DC decided to do something bold with the first superhero, show that even the Man of Steel could die. In this run, Doomsday is terrorizing the world and the only person to stop him is Superman.

5. "Days of Future Past" by Chris Claremont, John Byrne, Terry Austin

In this run of the “Uncanny X-Men”, Kitty Pryde is sent back in time to stop Mystique from killing Senator Robert Kelly, which led into the killing of all mutants in present day. The movie adaptation of the novel shows Wolverine going back in time instead of Kitty Pryde.

6. "The Dark Knight Returns" by Frank Miller

This is said by many fans of Batman to be the best storyline of the caped crusader. The novel is about Bruce Wayne coming out of retirement to fight crime once again, because of the increase of crime since Batman’s disappearance.

7. "Superman: Red Son" by Mark Millar

What would happen if Superman landed in the Soviet Union instead of a farm in Kansas? That is what Mark Millar (“Kick-Ass”) imagined when he wrote this alternate timeline for the Man of Steel. This also has Lois Lane marrying President Lex Luthor. Luthor would still be a better president than Clinton and Trump.

8. "V for Vendetta" by Alan Moore

In an alternate universe after a nuclear war, V is the leader of an anarchistic revolution against a fascist government in London. If you like Orwellian style novels as well as themes of revolution, defiantly give this a read.

9. "Preacher" by Garth Ennis

Garth Ennis’s graphic novel asks the question, what if one-day God decides to give up on humanity and an angel and a demon take over a body of a Texas preacher, oh and one of his best friends is a vampire as well? This is the most recent graphic novel to be adapted for AMC created by Seth Rogan and Evan Goldberg, the creators of "Sausage Party."

10. "Civil War" by Mark Millar

Mark Millar’s seven-part comic book run shows what happens if Iron Man and Captain America fight each other over a policy of masked heroes revealing their identity. It’s definitely the best Marvel story as it shows some of our heroes betraying each other and being a satire of the Bush Administration.

11. "Scott Pilgrim Vs the World" by Bryan Lee O’Malley

Scott Pilgrim is in love with Ramona Flowers. But there is a catch. Scott has to fight Ramona’s seven evil exes to win her heart. This is one of the most original ideas for a comic book and it’s easy for everyone to read.