The gift only grandmothers can give.
Family Friends

When You give a Girl a Grandmother

"A love....only God and a grandmother are capable of."

26
When You give a Girl a Grandmother

When you give a girl a grandmother, you give her:

A Person To Depend On.

If your grandmother is anything like mine, you know that she will be at every single one of your events. From my first dance recital, to my high school graduation, to my college move in day, my grandmother endured it all. She would cheer every time I entered and exited the stage, court, and ball field without a single complaint of the lengthy, boring play she could barely hear because the microphone cut out. No matter where or what I was doing, my Mee Mee was always there. Whatever I needed she would stop at nothing to make it happen. My fifth grade self wanted, above everything a turtle to put in the turtle race at our county fair. From March to June, my grandmother scoured the roads after a rain until she finally found a terrapin. After two weeks, I realized this was the slowest animal on the planet and could not win at a race. When she heard the disappointing news, she searched once more, finding me the second fastest terrapin in the county. My grandmother will cross mountains and oceans for me. She will forever be my closest ally.

Her (Actual) Biggest Fan.

I know I am not the best, nor will I ever be, but do not ever tell my grandmother such nonsense. Though she already knows as much, she would meet me after every event with "You were great" or "You outdid yourself." She has driven a million miles to support me in all my endeavors. You see, no matter how much my mom and dad love, encourage, and supported me, my grandmother doesn't see all the fits I threw backstage and at home. She just sees the best of me. She believes and supports my best self even when I cannot. No matter how bad I think I am, my grandmother is always there to wipe my tear and remind me otherwise.

Someone To Understand.

My Mee Mee is also a confidant. I realize that 82% of the time, my arguments with my parents are my fault. No one, NO ONE, gets the unreasonable side of my parents more than their parents. There is no telling how many times I have rushed to my grandma's house with a heart full of anger and complaints, knowing that my grandma will understand my dads morning mood more than anyone. She listens, offers advice, and never once yells. Aside from my parents, I can tell her anything about my friends or brothers, and never worry that it will become some form of drama. A grandma is the best friend you can have. After all my ranting, she will give me advice to look at myself and know that I could have improved the situation. Then, with a hug and an I love you, I will be on my way.

4 Words That Can Shatter Her.

A felling that is all to well to those of us who love our grandparents above everyone, "I'M DISAPPOINTED IN YOU." Those words have rang in my ears as each piece of my shattered heart echoed them in my mind. Your grandma is the one person that believes and sees all the good in you. When she notices the bad, you are literally in torment for days. I remember instances of my mom asking "What would Mee Mee do if she knew about this?" or "Do you need to tell Mee Mee what you've done?" I would rather sleep outside in the dog house for a month than let my grandma receive word of my wrong doing.

And 6 Words That Can Send Her To Cloud 9.

And, in an instant, the woman who can wreck my world with 5 words makes my heart soar like no other. You know that moment when you are in your second semester junior year and make all 100's on your report card, or you placed in the top 5 in your dance competition, a call must be made immediately. You dial her number and as soon as you finish shouting your news, "i'm so proud of you" drifts from her mouth to your ear like the most beautiful song you have ever heard. I am not sure why these words can make everything in the world shine brighter, but it sure does.

A Glimpse Of Heaven On Earth.

There are few people on this earth who possess a heavenly beauty quite like my grandmother. Every time I tell her how beautiful she is, my words are promptly followed by "shut up, Kendal." It embarrasses her when I tell her how beautiful she is, but I just cannot help but let her know. She doesn't know she's beautiful which makes her that much more beautiful. However, no matter how elegant she looks on Sunday in her adorable shoes my aunt bought her, or how the sun highlights her bone structure in a way that makes her look as though God sent her from heaven, her soul is truly her most beautiful feature; one God has claimed proudly for heaven. Her heart is one that has so much love and forgiveness in it. As each child, grandchild, great grandchild, and in-law has been added to our family, she demonstrates an unconditional love for each of us only God and grandmothers can. She forgives us when we don't deserve it, supports us when no one else can and above all demonstrates heavens love and beauty in all aspects of her life. So when someone asks me how I know heaven is real, I simply reply, my grandmother is and angel sent from God himself to make this world a little kinder.