12 Reasons To Admire Your Grandmother

12 Reasons To Admire Your Grandmother

My grandmother is an important aspect of my life, and I truly couldn't imagine my life without her.

5111
12 Reasons To Admire Your Grandmother
Virginia Dumistra

Your grandmother (or grandparent) is an important part of your childhood experience. She is someone you love with all your heart, baked cookies with, and helps you remember where you came from when you lost your way. No matter what she will always be there for you welcoming you with open arms and food because you never eat enough. She does everything for you and sometimes it is hard to remember to spend time with her as you get older, but no matter what she is someone to be loved and admired.

1. She feeds you.

Let's be honest here, especially as college kids, nothing is better than a full stomach and grandma always provides food. Even when you eat her out of her home, she will run to the store just to replenish supplies even if it's just for a day. Plus let's not even mention when she makes her signature dessert and it's devoured in two seconds flat.

2. She always has the best internet free entertainment.

It took my grandma forever to invest in internet, but I was hardly ever bored at her house. When I was a kid it was Playdough, coloring books, and Barbie dolls. As I got older it changed to Sodoku, knitting, and baking. Overall, I always enjoyed my time at her house, even if it was internet free.

3. She believes in your love life more than you do.

From the girl who has been single her whole life, I've given up on my love life. My grandma on the other hand believes I will find the "one" soon, right after I confirm I'm still single. She's like my own little cheerleader and I couldn't be more grateful to have her in my life.

4. She hangs up your ugly school photos like they're an art masterpiece.

If you look around my grandma's house you will see ugly school photos from all her grandchildren and great grandchildren, but she has them displayed with care as if they are a Van Gogh painting.Even with frizzy hair, a chubby face, and the pre-makeup era my grandma believes I was beautiful. Though I wish those pictures had gotten burned when they got delivered home it is nice to have someone think you are beautiful unconditionally. Plus now it's a competition of which grandchild has the most pictures in her house.

5. She takes you on adventures.

From trips to the mall to seeing my first Broadway musical, my grandmother has always encourage my adventurous soul. I can not thank her enough for taking me to see my first Broadway show, it was Aladdin by the way, and I'm sure my siblings would agree. It made missing school that day and having to make up gym totally worth it.

6. Movie Nights.

What I loved most about the movie nights with my grandma was that it involved homemade popcorn. Kernels actually in a popper and then we added the salt and butter ourselves. Not to mention it taught me how to use a TV guide since it was before the time of guides on the TV. It was just a simple bonding experience that she made sure we did every time I stayed over.

7. They protect you from your mom.

The only person who can truly stand up to your mom is your grandma. So when your mom is being a bit overbearing or a bit scary, you can count on your grandma to protect to you. She will be the one to sneak you sweets before dinner, even though your mom said no. She will always be your go to because grandma's are the ones who make us feel like princes and princesses, spoiled and content.

8. She helps you out financially.

As you get older the Christmas and Birthday gifts become more green and spendable. I can't tell you how much this helps when you are in college though and how grateful you are to her. That money usually comes in handy when you need groceries.

9. Embarrassing photos of your mom.

Nothings better than visiting my grandma's house and find the old photo albums, and newspaper clippings. Inside is a treasure trove of embarrassing photos of your mom. She is in matching outfits with your aunt (who is older by the way), but will also see news-clippings of your mom in children beauty pageants. Overall, you see your mom went through the same awkward stages you did and it makes her more relatable. Oh fun fact, those matching outfits were crocheted by my grandma.

10. She has lived an interesting and long life.

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F07%2F28%2F636368075467145317-190398993_ca665fedd6484404b1499a66520c8e38.gif%3Fixlib%3Drb&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=466&h=c05b99af2b5992151fa77321e0019a67740a920873c0e8191ab30a0618f04a54&size=980x&c=1443502156 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2017%252F07%252F28%252F636368075467145317-190398993_ca665fedd6484404b1499a66520c8e38.gif%253Fixlib%253Drb%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D466%26h%3Dc05b99af2b5992151fa77321e0019a67740a920873c0e8191ab30a0618f04a54%26size%3D980x%26c%3D1443502156%22%7D" expand=1]My grandma has definitely lived an interesting life and the stories she tells me inspire me. I always enjoy hearing about her life and how she got to where she is. Especially when there is physical objects that help tell the stories. My favorite is the vinyl that is a demo of my grandma singing, because she wanted to pursue a singing career, but her life didn't go in that direction. It's interesting to hear her style of singing because it is a different style than we are used to.

11. She loves you unconditionally.

In her eyes you can honestly do no wrong. She will always shower you with love, and you will always be her little baby. She will support you in your decisions, even when no one else does. It's hard to imagine life without her.

12. You don't exist without her.

Without your grandma living her life and doing her thing, you would not exist-plain and simple. So you better admire her and give her all the love she deserves.