Graduation Season

Graduation Season

"Your education is a dress rehearsal for a life that is yours to lead" ~ Nora Ephron

112
Graduation Season
google

Like the changing seasons, spring, fall, winter, summer, wedding season, holiday season, for students we see May bring Graduation season. It’s that one time of year that occurs in May, roughly starting at the beginning of May. Graduation is when we get to see people get ready to walk across a stage and receive their diplomas after hearing their names being called.

It’s the time when people get rejoice the hard work, the all-nighters, and work they put into putting their assignments and get rewarded with a diploma that stamps the end of their undergraduate degree. But, does everyone finish college at the same pace? Though many people may complete their degrees in the four-year mark, many may push hard and finish in 3, some 5, 6, or over the time span that they require to complete their education. This time frame is meant to bring people to a degree in which can certify their accomplishment of knowledge within the field they choose.

When we think of college, we often may view it to enter as a traditional student, who is entering college immediately out of high school, we are taught that we have the ideal four years to graduate. In those four years, we are meant to face our goal by accomplishing a sole bachelor’s degree and spend our summers interning.

However, many, especially those who attend commuter schools do so because they have other obligations, like supporting their families, working, hence pushing them to stay in school. Thus pushing one to take longer to pursue a degree. This may force them to stand on the sideline and watch the people graduate in the time frame we hope to. While some of those who walk across the stage at the time that they have to, maybe our friends, hence we have to stand by and applaud them for their accomplishments and be supportive.

I like many stood to watch many of my peers and friends graduate in May of 2018. While I was proud of them for accomplishing everything that they have so far with their academic careers, I felt incomplete. I found that I was meant to walk across the stage with them as I began my academic career alongside them. Many would say that I am merely jealous. However, I find that it wasn’t jealous, somewhat disappointed that I hadn’t met the goals I hadn’t set for myself, but after realizing that I had to run my race at my own pace, I would have to have to keep working hard merely.

Upon realizing the mistake in my thinking, I found that it was okay that I didn’t graduate this May. I found that I had to accomplish the things I intended to and ensure that my long-term goals are being achieved at the end of the day. Realizing that I will also get the opportunity to walk across the stage when the time comes and rejoice the degrees that I have been working hard to obtain.

Hence, to the people with similar feelings, understand that everything has to be done in your time span. Despite living in what is a competitive world, we have to ensure we accomplish everything we set ourselves to in a proper manner rather than a rushed one. Respect your journey that you have to undergo as it defines your path.