Gradual Equality Is Just Prolonged Inequality

If all races are equal, if all genders are equal, if all sexualities are equal, we should have all the same things now, not later.

231

Recently, my reading assignment for my religion class was the book of Philemon. It's a short book, only 25 verses long, but it's the center of much debate in the church. This letter from Paul to his friend Philemon addressed the issue of slavery. Paul has Philemon's slave and is writing to inform Philemon that he is sending the slave back to him, but that he hopes that Philemon will welcome this man back as a brother in Christ, not simply a slave.

What is he saying? That Philemon should free the slave? Or that slavery is okay as long as they are accepted as brothers and sisters in Christ? It's easy to see how this book can become highly problematic. Paul tip toes around this subject, as if to not offend anyone. This tip toeing lead my class into some interesting conversations about gradual equality.

We came to the conclusion that Paul might have been trying to slowly change people's minds about slavery by asking for people to accept slaves as their brothers and sisters instead of treating them like property. He couldn't ask for too much too soon for fear that people would refuse to listen to him.

Our professor agreed, but went on to ask, "Who are they to gradually give me the things I am entitled to?" This is a good question. If everyone is entitled to the same thing, why does that change have to be gradual? Gradual equality just means prolonged inequality. If all races are equal, if all genders are equal, if all sexualities are equal, we should have all the same things now, not later.

I hate to think that I will not see the wage gap close in my lifetime. I hate to think that non-white people will still be considered second class citizens when I die. I cringe when people state that white privilege isn't real, it most certainly is. I hate to think about how a few short weeks ago, I was preaching a slow and steady race. My eyes have been opened. The fact that women sometimes feel like they can't ask for everything they deserve for fear that "The Man in Charge" won't listen angers me. The people in charge are mostly white men, 95% of all Fortune 500 businesses are run by men, and the idea of radical change and reform scares them. So, people act slowly. A pay raise here, a new hire there, in the hopes that someday every occupation will have equal representation of every sex, gender and race. But time has shown that the slow and the steady are not the ones who win. It is the quick and strong that win.

There is a stigma around women asking for the things they deserve. Those who do raise their voices up are called bossy, entitled and bitchy. Tell me, would a white man be called the same things? Who is going to tell me that they will give me what is mine gradually. My professor likened this rational to someone stealing everything in your home, then telling you that they'll give you your things back slowly, one item a week. Is that progress? Would you be content? I wouldn't be. And I am not content with the so-called progress we're making now. This race can no longer be slow and steady, we've tried that for nearly 200 years, and people are still not on equal ground. Women haven't yet had the right to vote for 100 years, the wage gap, as of April 2017, is a woman's 80 cents to a man's dollar, double standards still run rampant and women are still scared to walk down dark streets at night.

Would you be content to live in a world like this? I wouldn't be.

The time is gone for pacing ourselves, we can see the light at the end of this 200 year tunnel, it's time to sprint with everything we have. Shed those insecurities and demand the things you deserve.

"Human rights are women's rights and women's rights are human rights, once and for all." —Hillary Clinton