5 Government Immersive Programs For High Schoolers Looking To Get Involved

Don't imagine your future, do something about it.

68
Mikayla Kelz

One thing colleges are really pushing in applications is the experience. Yes, grades and ACT score are still important, but advocacy in furthering your education outside of school is becoming a new skill that many scholarship committees, colleges and employers see as proactive.

One of the issues is finding those programs, especially in a state like Wisconsin that you wouldn’t think would have such learning experiences. Really, programs, conferences and experiences aren’t hard to find if you do a Google search and a little research.

The first step is identifying a specific subject, career field or passion that really motivates you to learn more about. For me, it was the government in politics. I specifically looked for programs that were non-partisan. This doesn’t mean I didn’t mind people having opinions or limited my own thoughts, but I was more interested in learning about specific aspects of government and how they function.

Here are the top five programs for high schoolers specializing in government and politics:

1. YMCA Youth In Government

This is an immersive model government program. Students in grades 7-12 join local delegations and then meet at the end of a five-month period at the Wisconsin State Capitol to put into practice what they have learned. There are three areas to work in; Legislative, Supreme Court and Press Corps. Each subgroup in the program has its own benefits and it models current positions in our government and media. Financially the program is typically under $300 and includes information and hotel in Madison.

2. Badger Boys and Girls

Sponsored by the American Legion this program is the perfect way to learn about local, county and state government. These are two separate programs, one for girls in Oshkosh and boys in Ripon. This program has a large emphasis on patriotism and the history of the flag and our military.

You are also given the opportunity to run for various elected positions and create laws within your municipalities. To be eligible for this program you must be a recent junior year graduate and must get in touch with your school or local auxiliary post. If sponsored there is no cost to this summer program that lasts a week.

3. Wisconsin Senate Scholar Program

This program is specifically for juniors and seniors of Wisconsin. It is limited to a 33 student senate session period to resemble the 33 senators in the state of Wisconsin. During the Senate Scholar week, you will basically live in the Capitol, listen to many public officials, eat a chef-prepared meal at the governor’s mansion and work a real senate session publicized on Wisconsin Eye.

During the week you also get to meet with your senator in their office and talk to them and their staff about issues that are important to you. If accepted in, the program is only $250 and includes housing and all catered meals. The program usually takes place in late winter and early spring.

4. United States Senate Youth Program

One of the most prestigious high school programs in the U.S., it is only for high school juniors and seniors and the application to apply is hefty, but if you are interested in it, it is totally worth it. You will need numerous letters of recommendation and you'll have to write essays and go through a series of interviews. The program accepts 2 delegates from each state and Washington D.C. that resembles the 2 senators from each state.

The program is completely funded by the Hearst Foundation who pays for your travel, stay in an expensive hotel, actual 3 courses catered meals, merchandise for the program and a $10,000 scholarship for your undergraduate degree.

Some highlights from this program include meeting the President of the U.S. in the White House, eating dinner next to the U.S. Constitution, attending a Senator Reception with most of the U.S. Senators, listening and questioning national level public officials and various visits around the D.C. area. Contact your state USSYP delegate page to find out more about how to apply.

5. Envision Program

Envision is a career exploration and leadership program that takes place in various locations throughout the U.S. They have many programs for middle and high schoolers specializing in Media, Medicine, Law, National Security, and many other options. Their National Security Programs takes place in D.C.

Students learn intelligence strategies, talk to security experts and participate in a hands-on situation to handle a national security problem with your group. Highlights include visiting the spy museum, an embassy, and being able to have free time to explore downtown D.C.

This program runs at specific times and to be in it you either have to apply or be nominated. Prices for Envision programs tend to be around $2,000, but there are many opportunities for financial help and scholarships.