My Ex And I Had To Grow Apart (And Grow Up) Before We Could Get Back Together

Sometimes two people fall apart just to realize how much they need to fall back together.

1154
Unsplash

In today's society, there is a negative notion that surrounds getting back together with an ex. I understand this but don't completely agree with it. Most girls my age continuously go back to a toxic relationship where no personal growth as individuals took place during the separation.

I believe reestablishing a relationship with someone is entirely understandable and should be accepted if not only personal growth took place, but also if growth within the relationship is established.

I accept others getting back with an ex because personally I just did.

I have been on and off with the same guy for nearly six years now.

About two months ago, after not having any contact with him for a year, I sent him a message simply saying "I forgive you". I did this because someone who I am very close with told me to help with my anxiety I need to rid of any negative emotions towards anyone in my past. The moment I pressed send a weight I didn't even know I was carrying vanished from my shoulders. I didn't even want or expect a reply since this action was taken for myself and not for us.

The following day, nearly an entire 24 hours later, I receive a reply from him. "I forgive you." I would have been completely content if the conversation had seized at that moment. But it didn't. We began catching up on each other's lives since the last time we had spoken.

The song "Greatest Love Story" by LANco perfectly describes the situation at this point. My college boyfriend didn't work out and sure we've changed, but way deep down he had the same old feelings for me. He began to tell me all the "signs" he has recently seen causing the wound our relationship left him to reopen and old feelings towards me begin to resurface.

When he explained them to me my wound busted open and all my old feelings for him began to pour out of my heart and into the conversation.

A few days before my initial message I went to a worship service and from the service, I took away a message urging me to give up relationships that aren't of God and trust him to lead me to the one he has created for me. The night before I messaged him he prayed I would come back into his life.

There are many miniscule details surrounding how we both believe the resurrection of our relationship will be lasting, but most importantly we have stopped living FOR one another like we had in high school (only doing things for the other to impress or rather make ourselves look good for the other), but rather began living WITH one another (doing things for the other because it benefits the other as well the both of us as a whole).

This was a major step regarding growing within the relationship. As for growing as individuals, we have both dated other people which not only helped us learn what exactly we want out of a relationship but also it taught us about ourselves.