Gordon Ramsay is Actually a Nice Person

4 Times Gordon Ramsay Surprised us with His Kindness

Apparently Gordon doesn't believe everyone is an idiot sandwich.

762
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54397539@N06/5034954460/
gordonramsaysubmissions

Gordon Ramsay is one of the most famous figures in the culinary industry, not just because of his 14 Michelin stars, but because of his abrasive tv personality that serves as entertainment even for people who have no interest in culinary. From the times he's publicly embarrassed people on Hell's Kitchen to all the times he has crushed the hopes of eager Master Chef contestants (I highly recommend you watch that video link,) it's no doubt that people are still unaware of how soft he actually is, especially in more recent years.

1. Paying for David and Sukie's rent at Hotel Chester.

Ramsay, who spent his early career studying Hotel Management, had a tv series called "Hotel Hell" from 2012-2016. Season 2 episode 4 featured a struggling couple named Sukie and David, who took on financial hardship after Sukie was forced to quit her job after David got into a serious car accident and was bedridden for 6 months. The hotel was outdated and Sukie wasn't able to keep up with cooking for the few customers they did have, so their house was foreclosed and they ended up having to move into the hotel. Gordon Ramsay hired a new chef and paid for his salary until they were able to. He also revamped the hotel and rented Sukie and David a new apartment, which he covered the rent for 6 months in advance. The emotional scene, beginning at 5 minutes into the video, shows how overjoyed the elderly couple was to have their own home again. Even for a man as wealthy as Gordon Ramsay, covering the salary for an executive chef on top of 6 months rent on top of renovating a hotel shows just how generous he is.

2. Ramsay's emotional intervention at Brownstone Bistro.

This recent episode of "24hrs to Hell and Back" followed an executive chef named Clive Jackson struggling to maintain control of his restaurant after the devastating grief of finding his son shot to death. In an intimate conversation between Clive and Gordon, Clive recounts the incident, saying he didn't see his son being shot but heard the gunshots. It was then he saw his son's lifeless body, stating "when I got there, my son was laying on his face. And I was shaking him. There was no police. There was no paramedics...so, it was the police who came and got me off of my son." Clive's grief caused him to hire young servers and chefs who he wanted to save from the lifestyle that caused the death of his son. However, without proper guidance, and a manager who literally laughed in Gordon Ramsay's face, his staff was immature, disorganized, and his well-meaning plans were doomed to fail. However, Ramsay was able to turn around the attitudes of the employees from careless to enthusiastic, redecorating the bistro into a bright, warming restaurant and revamping the menu from a Caribbean fusion fail to a Caribbean fusion feast. He reignited Clive's passion for cooking by sitting him down with the one thing that mattered to him more than cooking; his family. He also built a tree in the heart of the bistro with a plaque as a testament to his son Clive Jr., telling Clive "the minute we start to let love, family, and commitment slide, you stand under here and take a stern reminder of what that young man stood for."

3. Gabriel's happy elimination in "Master Chef" Season 8.

Master Chef is by far my favorite series featuring Gordon Ramsay, and I've followed every season absolutely religiously. When 19 year old Gabriel Lewis, who worked as a fast food line cook, came onto the cooking competition "Master Chef" last season, he impressed all of the judges. However, when it came down to Yachecia and Gabriel in the bottom two worst dishes for that round, Gabriel was unfortunately eliminated. Most of the contestants were in tears, including Yachecia who seemed more sad about Gabriel being eliminated than relieved that she wasn't. However, Gordon Ramsay then went on to say that it is "very rare we [the judges] see such raw talent...I am personally going to send you to culinary school." Given the fact that Gabriel mentioned earlier in the show that he couldn't go to culinary school because he couldn't afford it and had to provide for his family, this was an incredibly touching moment. Gordon went on to say he would take care of Gabriel's parents, and chef Aaron Sanchez offered Gabriel a job in one of his restaurants. You can watch the scene here.

4. When Gordon Ramsay offered a job to a struggling Reddit Chef.

A few years ago, Gordon Ramsay hosted a Reddit AMA (ask-me-anything.) Nobody thought this would be anything other than a typical Q&A, where people would ask basic questions about Ramsay and cooking. However, one Reddit user poured his heart out about the grueling work that is being a chef as well as having a broken family life involving his deadbeat dad. Here's some quotes from his message:

"𝘐'𝘮 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘪𝘯 𝘢 𝘔𝘪𝘤𝘩𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘯 𝘬𝘪𝘵𝘤𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘯𝘰𝘸, 𝘵𝘰𝘪𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘸𝘢𝘺, 𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘴 𝘢𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘴, 𝘥𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘢𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘥𝘢𝘺𝘴. 𝘔𝘺 𝘩𝘰𝘱𝘦𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘣𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘴 𝘐 𝘴𝘤𝘢𝘭𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘱𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘴𝘢𝘭𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘢𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘢𝘭𝘮𝘰𝘯, 𝘴𝘩𝘦𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘰𝘥𝘴 𝘢𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘱𝘰𝘥𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘣𝘳𝘰𝘢𝘥 𝘣𝘦𝘢𝘯𝘴."

"𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰 𝘧𝘦𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘯𝘺 𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘫𝘰𝘺 𝘐 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘳𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘮𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘸𝘢𝘭𝘬 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘳𝘰𝘰𝘮 𝘯𝘦𝘢𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘦𝘯𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘷𝘪𝘤𝘦... 𝘛𝘩𝘦𝘯, 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘮 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘱 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺'𝘳𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘪𝘳 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘱𝘢𝘯𝘺, 𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘬 𝘶𝘱 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘪𝘳 𝘧𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘢𝘺, '𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘬 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘤𝘩𝘦𝘧. 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘴 𝘥𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘤𝘪𝘰𝘶𝘴', 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘮𝘢𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘷𝘪𝘰𝘶𝘴 14-𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘴𝘸𝘦𝘢𝘵 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘴 𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘩𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘭𝘦.""𝘔𝘺 𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘪𝘴, 𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘥𝘪𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘦𝘢𝘭 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘪𝘵? 𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘬 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘤𝘩𝘦𝘧' 𝘥𝘰𝘦𝘴𝘯'𝘵 𝘦𝘯𝘥 𝘮𝘺 𝘮𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳'𝘴 𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘩𝘦𝘭𝘱 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘥𝘦𝘢𝘭 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘮𝘺 𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳'𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘰𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘢𝘺𝘴. '𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘬 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘤𝘩𝘦𝘧' 𝘥𝘰𝘦𝘴𝘯'𝘵 𝘮𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘮𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘥 𝘨𝘳𝘰𝘸 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘣𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘨𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘭𝘪𝘧𝘦."

His cry for help is one that any person who works endless days just to survive can relate to, but it especially relates to Ramsay, who also grew up with a neglectful father figure and had to endure incredible hardships to get through the day. Here was his inspirational piece of advice he gave to the chef:

"𝘊𝘰𝘰𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘭𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘭 𝘪𝘴 𝘴𝘰 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦. 𝘚𝘰 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘨𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘶𝘱. 𝘉𝘦 𝘩𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘴𝘦𝘭𝘧, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘢 𝘮𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘩 𝘰𝘶𝘵.
𝘕𝘰𝘸 𝘪𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘮𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘩 𝘰𝘶𝘵 - 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘱𝘱𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬 - 𝘪𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦'𝘴 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘐'𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘢𝘶𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘮𝘺 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘨 𝘤𝘩𝘦𝘧𝘴 𝘵𝘰𝘥𝘢𝘺 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘬 𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘥, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘪𝘨𝘨𝘦𝘳 𝘱𝘪𝘤𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘦."

"𝘓𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘯 - 𝘪𝘧 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘯𝘥 𝘮𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘶𝘮𝘦, 𝘐 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘬 𝘢𝘵 𝘱𝘶𝘵𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘰 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘶𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘴 𝘢𝘴 𝘢 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘬 𝘦𝘹𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦, 𝘪𝘧 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘸𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘥𝘪𝘧𝘧𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘵, 𝘪𝘯 𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘴𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘰𝘧𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘭𝘴, 𝘵𝘰 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘥𝘪𝘧𝘧𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘵, 𝘵𝘰 𝘤𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘭𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘭 𝘰𝘧 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵."

I would highly recommend reading the full conversation here. I love this exchange so much because most people would have expected Gordon Ramsay to tell the young cook to suck it up or stop whining, but Ramsay gave him both a practical and compassionate response, as well as a potential new job.

If Gordon Ramsay being sweet in these examples doesn't prove to you how wholesome he actually is, I would definitely recommend watching Master Chef Junior, he's even nicer to the kids! Based on Gordon Ramsay's compassion and generosity, maybe his screaming and cursing is just tough love.