Going Vegan: What To Expect

Going Vegan: What To Expect

Make a smooth transition with these 12 tips.

103
Going Vegan: What To Expect
Google

Thinking about transitioning to veganism? Most people start by going vegetarian first, but if you think you can go from eating a cheeseburger to eating a Beyond Meat Beast Burger with Daiya cheese, then more power to you. There’s no “right” way to go veg (unless you’re a vegetarian who eats fish, because then, yes, you are doing it wrong -- just call yourself a pescatarian and everything will be OK), and everyone has different methods that work for them. Whether you decide to go vegan for the animals, the environment, your health or any other reason, you might find some things more difficult than others.

1. Do your research -- Nutrition 101

First things first, research nutrition. Since you’re no longer following the food pyramid we all learned in elementary school (which probably isn’t the greatest for you anyway), you have to make our own plan to ensure you’re getting the proper nutrition and vitamins. Your body gets used to a certain diet, so you want to make sure you have a smooth transition with no health issues or discomfort. You might want to start taking a multivitamin, or you might make sure you’re getting the proper nutrients from a variety of foods. You know what works for you. I’m no nutritional expert, but veganhealth.org is a great resource for finding foods with vitamins and learning the scientific research.

2. Know your options

This goes along with the nutritional research. Although you are cutting out meat, milk, eggs and other animal products from your diet, you aren’t losing much; instead, you’re gaining a heck of a lot of new options, and you’ll learn to be creative about it. I can confidently argue that there is a vegan replacement for every single food product on the market, and they’re only getting better. If you’ve hopped on the the bacon bandwagon, I’ve recently found a substitute that wasn’t terrible, and Mccormick Bacon Bits are “accidentally vegan.” Some of the most popular vegan brands are Field Roast, Gardein, Daiya and Tofurky, and companies such as Toffuti and Hampton Creek have products such as creamy dressings, mayo, cream cheese and cookie dough. You can easily replace dairy milk with almond, soy, coconut or even cashew milk. And then there are the obvious foods that are vegan anyway, such as beans, vegetables, lentils, Oreos and the new Ben and Jerry’s ice cream. But all of this is a Google search away.

3. Know where to shop

Look for the “V” symbol on items in your local grocery store, and download the “Is It Vegan?” app to make your life a lot easier. Many stores have a fake meat section and vegan milk is always next to dairy milk. You’ll be surprised how many staples have vegan brands -- think of it as a scavenger hunt! Stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods might be a little pricey for most items, but they definitely have certain items you won’t find in other stores. Plus, in today’s world, you can buy food online on Amazon, Thrive Market or most company’s websites to have delicious vegan food delivered right to your door.

4. Experiment

When you transition to veganism, you open yourself to a whole new world of different foods. You’re going to come across a bunch of different foods; some things you will like and some things you won’t. That applies for everyone, vegan or not, so you shouldn’t panic if you can’t stomach the texture of tofu. I’m not advising you to spend $20 on something you’ve never heard of before at a restaurant, but try new things. For instance, I discovered I love seitan (pun unintended) and I can eat tofu out of the package; however, I still cringe at the sight of falafel. Also, remember that your taste buds adapt, and you might grow to love something that's “eh” at first. Don’t force it, but don’t become discouraged either.

5. Find your staples

After experimenting for a little while, you will find your go-to items. Find your favorite foods and stock up. Buying in bulk is always cheaper, and buy 50 cans of beans during a sale if that’s what floats your boat. Vegetables are also fairly cheap if you go to the right store. It’s a myth that veganism is ridiculously expensive -- you just have to find the foods that fit into your budget.

6. Learn to cook

You don’t have to become an expert, but making your own food can be a great way to try new things. Cooking for your family will show them that vegan food is delicious, especially if they are not very supportive at first. Plus, they can’t use the excuse that you are making them go out of their way. Bring a delicious vegan dessert to parties, and you can almost literally shove your vegan ideals down everyone’s throat. It’s sneaky and subtle activism, especially if it leads to a discussion, and they’ll be begging for more.

7. Prepare your answers

Prepare you answers, because people will ask questions. You already know the questions I’m referring to. This comes secondary to your own well-being and choices, but it’s definitely something you’ll have to consider at some point. Research will help you know your stuff and intelligently shut down any snide relatives or self-proclaimed protein experts. Try to be patient and provide knowledgeable and well-thought-out answers, but if someone is being completely unreasonable and condescending, it’s OK to move on.

8. Talk to others

I know this sounds absolutely terrifying. However, doing anything is a lot easier when you have a support system who can share their own tips and experiences. See if your college has a Veg Club, and see if there’s a veg community in your town. It can even be a conversation starter if you see someone at the vegetarian station in the dining hall or if you see someone reading a label. Reach out to others, and you’ll learn a lot of new tips.

9. The wonders of the Internet

If you’re completely averse to communicating with others, that’s completely fine too. The Internet is limitless, and there are a multitude of blogs and forums to find people who have had relatable experiences. There are numerous beginner guides and infographs, and a simple Google search will show you how to get any vitamin or how to veganize any recipe. There are even “food blogs," and I’ve never understood the concept of "food porn" until I started following Finding Vegan on Facebook. Here are my favorite vegan blogs and websites for any level of vegan.

10. Accept that you might be difficult

Every time I go to a restaurant, I always feel embarrassed asking, “Is there milk in this?” We all know the joke, “How do you find a vegan in a restaurant?" Don’t worry, we'll tell you. Ha. ha. ha. We get it. Waiting for our questions is not the most enjoyable way to pass the time, but it’s necessary. Also, a vegan in a restaurant? The whole premise of a restaurant is food, and veganism is about food. That’s like asking, “How do you find the lactose intolerant person at a dairy farm?" There are vegan options everywhere, and the options are only expanding. But just accept that some of your outings might be a little bit more difficult than before. Just remember, the nice people won’t mind.

11. Veganism is not a fad diet

Veganism is not a weight loss program like Weight Watchers. If you see it as a restricted diet, you will become easily discouraged. Veganism is not about about self-denial, and if you want to lose weight, you are going on a diet that includes vegan food, not a “vegan diet.” Sure, there are numerous health benefits to veganism, but it isn’t the inherent fix to everything. It can be healthy, but it doesn’t have to be. You can eat pasta and Oreos every day, and vegans have to work just as hard as everyone else to watch their health. This view perpetuates a false stereotype of vegans, one that is laden with undertones (and sometimes overtones) of body shaming. Just remember that if you don’t fit the stereotypical image, that's OK.

12. Find your “Why?”

This is one of the more forgettable, yet extremely important tips. Your "Why?" will keep you motivated when things seem difficult. We live in a world surrounded by meat and animal products, from restaurants to everyday language to what we see on TV. It's normal to miss some certain foods, but when your reason is firmly grounded in your identity, it’ll be easier to stick with it. Everyone has their own connection to veganism, whether it means bonding over baking or drinking green smoothies after a long run.