The Struggles Of Not Partying (Often) At A Party School

Go ahead and call me boring, I'm already used to it.

157

Half of you will read this and feel my pain and the other half will read this and judge me. What's new though, am I right?

For those of you who are unaware, I attend Florida State University, notoriously known for its nightlife. If you know of Tallahassee or of FSU, then you know exactly what I mean. We have about a gazillions clubs and on top of that, a gazillion more places to drink/pre-game at. So that in and of itself is already a mess, drunk people everywhere, or better yet, a nice mix of drunk AND homeless people on the streets around 10 PM to 3 AM. I may be exaggerating but also, am I really though?

Let me be absolutely clear here, in no way am I bashing Tallahassee's nightlife (because it's popping, let me tell you), in no way am I bashing those who partake in Tallahassee's nightlife (because you do you), and in no way am I bashing homeless people (because rude). This is solely about what it's like being a homebody, when everyone, including your three lovely roommates, party like crazy.

Now don't get me wrong, I have definitely participated here are there. When I first moved up to Tallahassee, I went out almost every week for maybe a month (if even), but then it got boring real quick. I was tired of going out, I was tired of spending money, and most importantly, I was tired of drunk people. There were even a couple of times where I went out completely sober and let me tell you, I most definitely do not recommend doing that if you have a low tolerance of people.

However, my main issue is when people judge me for deciding to stay in rather than go out with them. Either it's that I'm "boring," "never hang out with them," or "don't have any friends." I've definitely gotten some other neat comments here and there but it all boils down to the fact that I'm weird for not going out. Or alternatively, it's that I'm getting judged because I don't like to drink.

Well news flash: people do not have to drink, nor do they have to go out, in order to have fun!

There are so many reasons that I could state for why I don't want to drink or why I don't want to go out. If I were to go out, then I'd have to also dress up, I would have to do my makeup, and then I would also have to drink for extended periods of time. Worse off, I'd have to either walk a good distance to get to the clubs or I'd have to pay for an Uber, both of which I really do not want to do.

On top of that, I am also quite the lightweight. It tends to happen when you weigh 90 pounds. As a result of that, when I drink, I do so carefully. I drank slowly and one drink at a time. All my friends want me to chug it down but that's a no.

Most nights, I just want to stay in and watch a couple of movies, read a book, or even just relax. I'm the only one out of my three roommates to have a job. So besides going to school already, I also work multiple shifts a week. I'm tired and on my days off, I just want to relax and do my own thing.

I'm not out here saying I never go out or anything like that, I do once in a blue moon.

So for those of you who read this and felt my pain, then welcome to the club. But in reality, let me tell you, I do love Tallahassee and I love Tallahassee's nightlife.