Why You Should Go To A School Where You Don't Know Anyone

Taking the risk comes with the greatest reward.

300

Choosing to come to a college ten hours away from home was a big decision. Especially when no one from your hometown was planning on attending school there with you.

I walked into my dorm room on move-in day and hugged the roommate that I had been talking to over the summer for quite some bit about room decorations and the typical getting to know you questions. We met over Facebook and it is safe to say that she was my first friend in college. As I looked around campus while going to all of the welcome week events, I realized that I honestly knew no one besides her which was very intimidating at first. I would tell myself that I could do this and meet people and try to put myself out there, but it was a lot harder than it seemed.

As the days went on, I would start talking to people and even though I had gotten to know a few familiar faces, it was hard because I thought about home and how I almost missed knowing everyone at my high school and always having a friend nearby.

However, it was after my first month that things had changed.

I solidified a group of friends that make me laugh every day. These people come from all over the country, Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, Connecticut and so much more. These people I would have never met if I hadn’t come to a school ten hours away from home and pushed myself to the edge of my comfort zone. Not knowing anyone from back home gave me the reason to create bonds with completely new people, which I will never regret. The friends that I have made here, have sat with me through endless meals, shared way too many clothes, stayed up late at night watching movies with me, spent hours talking with me about life, danced the night away together and even been there to listen to me cry when I was struggling. It is in these moments with these people, that I have been able to comfortably say that this place is definitely one of my new homes. I have finally made my own mark on a school that I love and I for sure, would not have it any other way.

To the friends that I write this article about. Thank you. Thank you for being the ones that God has blessed me with. Thank you for standing by my side even when we barely knew each other, and continuing to stand by my side even when we know so much about each other. I have loved watching my relationships with all of you grow and to think it has only been three months. Knowing that I could have gone somewhere else to college or somewhere where I knew so many people, makes me so excited that I am where I am. I can’t thank you all enough for being there for me and experiencing what college has to offer right by my side. You all are amazing in your own crazy ways and I am so glad that I can be a part of your life. I cannot wait to see what is in store for the rest of this year and beyond.

So if you are hesitant about going somewhere to college where you may not know a lot of people, trust me, do it. You will not regret it. It will be scary and difficult at first, but if you push yourself to step outside of your comfort zone, you will meet some of the most wonderful people and you will love every second with them.