Going Back To Therapy

It's Okay To Go Back To Therapy–Mental Illness Is Not A Battle You Have To Face Alone

It's a step in the right direction.

127
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150279324@N03/28022388798/in/photolist-JGf4Us-NeRbEA-eUtbf-a4TwZD-27rhBS8-5vcQT3-r2dSNK-denqKQ-7oXyee-joSz9d-Zedj3N-ibq3Xn-fyUCGU-8gYyne-vyhNt-ohQucm-nzZ6JC-c4HSYL-5J44g5-7sdKvg-GYoYW-prYAXK-28mggpx-dQE7fr-rvU8YT-n2s6oU-KPW3kK-dH7AS4-n6zFfJ-FH416-CAGvxw-MyjJ2L-jh3dwV-48AVZD-48o1bN-feW4CM-6acQqG-9SMWpH-TxWKmw-7fWC4A-TtrSA2-216tZEL-bkrCFt-nv4Esz-fogyau-22swJrr-CYr8yN-9UiFV3-56NoLo-68Cr5K

For the past year, I have had the urge to reach out to a therapist, but I have had many worries that were holding me back from actually doing it. I went to therapy for six months when I was fifteen, so I thought that going back to counseling would be a step in the wrong direction. I was ashamed of the fact that I was struggling with my mental health again, so I kept quiet and tried to deal with my problems on my own.

Struggling with mental illness by yourself is a lonely battle. It's a battle that you do not have to fight alone. As cliché as that sounds, it's the truth. This summer, I finally made the decision to reach out to a new therapist, and I hope this will encourage others who are struggling again to do the same.

1. Therapy is a wonderful tool to help people find healthy coping mechanisms.

angelfeminist.tumblr.com

When I was fourteen, I self-harmed not only because I had such a deep self-hatred for myself, but also because it made me feel like I was in control. A therapist can help you navigate through different tactics that help you rather than hurt you like self-harm or other dangerous actions that can lead to hurting your body or other kinds of mental illnesses, such as eating disorders. Even after years of being clean of self-harm, I sometimes find these urges coming back to me, which I can learn to deal with my new therapist.

2. It is not shameful to go back to therapy.

hirxeth.tumblr.com

It may feel like you are taking a step in the wrong direction, but you are actually doing the opposite. Making the decision to receive counseling actually shows that you have grown, not backtracking. Talking to someone, especially a licensed professional, about what you are going through is a very productive way to start, or continue, your journey to self-love and self-acceptance. You should never be ashamed of trying to help yourself or better yourself. This is something I struggled with the most while deciding whether or not I should reach out. I've learned that it is something you should be proud of and to take pride in because by getting help, you are helping yourself grow.

3. Therapy reminds you that you are not alone.

hearturs.tumblr.com

In my first session with my new therapist, I forgot how relieving it felt to be able to talk to someone who was there to listen. Going to therapy makes you feel heard, it gives you a voice. You aren't there to be judged, so you can be an open book with your therapist and they will listen and learn to understand how to help you. You grow with each other, and the more comfortable you get with your therapist, the less alone you will feel, and the more you receive the help that you need. Although there is a sense of professionalism that your therapist must keep, on one level they are a friend. They are someone that truly wants to be there for you.

Don't be ashamed of your struggles, and don't be afraid to seek help even after you had before. Life is filled with ups and downs, but that doesn't mean you have to deal with the downs on your own. There is always more room for you to grow, and therapy is a great tactic for you to do so. Remember that you deserve to feel good about yourself, and you deserve to receive any kind of help that you may need.