I Am Proud To Be A Farmer's Daughter

I Am Proud To Be A Farmer's Daughter

Farmers plant seeds in the field and in their daughter's hearts.

2943
I Am Proud To Be A Farmer's Daughter
The Trust For Public Land

Nowadays, we have no clue where our food comes from and how it is put on our plates. We focus so much on easy access and often forget the hard work it takes a farmer and their families to make sure you are fed. I was inspired by a fellow Odyssey article "So, God Made A Farmer's Daughter," and decided to reflect on my own experiences and make my own version. Here is why until you live in a family of farmers, one's whose livelihood is dictated by the bank, weather, and a whole lot of praying - you shall never understand.

One may never understand how someone could be so enchanted by the growth of a plant or experience such excitement from laying plastic on smooth dirt.

So, a farmer planted a seed in his daughter's heart. She would be one who understood why it was the best time of year. One who, growing up, would gladly sit on the armrest of the tractor and hear the stories of how farming really is and what it means to those who are farmers.

There had to be one who will devour a bucket of dirt before eating a healthy serving of BS from PETA, animal right's activist, and ill-informed consumers. Someone who would advocate for farmer's rights and love agriculture all the while.

So, a farmer planted a seed in his daughter's heart.

The great affection drove him willingly to get up before dawn every morning, work all day, and early to late evenings, and dry his sweat with his sleeves as he prepared to do it all over again the following morning.

His manic enthusiasm was too much to withstand. He's somebody who never once had the desire to cut a corner. His love for his land became contagious and one to take pride in.

So, a farmer planted a seed in his daughter's heart. She would take his example and also not cut corners and works hard for all the things she wants. One who took pride in the art of farming and never hesitated from tackling any challenge regardless of size.

There had to be one whose not afraid of being dirty. One who used rotten crops to throw at their siblings as a source of never ending entertainment. But, also one who cared about people, too. So, a farmer planted a seed in his daughter's heart.

One who would spend afternoons and weekends roaming field to field either by foot or tractor. One who would also deliver meals and water to the employees and would eagerly play cards with them as they took a much needed and well-deserved break. There had to be one with child-like energy who could sacrifice a weekend with friends to spend on the field. But, also one who enjoyed teaching friends free entertainment and an easy way to get a nice tan. So, a farmer planted a seed in his daughter's heart.

There had to be someone who understood the value of a farmer and how hard they work. One who knew all the sacrifices made before learning to eat a daily helping of ignorance. Farming is a science and intensive manual labor that should be recognized and admired by all. It's a cycle of blood, sweat, and tears. Although many believe farming is so moronically simple, it's not. With the help of my own eyes, I witnessed immense passion and a love so deep for land he owns and loves so well, the crops he harvested, and the employees he influenced.

One who knew her father lost way too many nights of sleep because he worried about his crops, and the consequences poor weather would have on them. I'd been told one year my dad purchased a helicopter. Some thought he was absolutely insane for purchasing a helicopter to ensure the crops wouldn't get frosted. He justified it by saying it would stimulate the air and cause wind power.

So, a farmer planted a seed in his daughter's heart. One who knew his decision was drastic but not insane. One who admired the steps he would take to make sure he had a successful season.

There had to be one who valued time and the power of love and good relationships. One who knew she wouldn't see her dad all that often because he's out there growing her dinner and would come home exhausted. But, when she saw him, she would be as happy as a teenager getting her first car.

One who knew the topic of conversation centered around farming or the love of land never ceases to get old - so, a farmer planted a seed in his daughter's heart. One who prayed for good weather during harvest seasons. One who knew a little as to what was going on, so if one asked, she could confidently tell them the progress that's been made or how far along they were.

I saw how just like the sun shines on his crops. The light shined on him. One who had a seed planted in her heart and eagerly says, she wants to spend her life appreciating farmers and "supporting what dad does."

I am proud to have grown up where our lives center around harvest season. While it isn't a glamorize or an easy life - it is a great one. Until a seed has been planted in your heart, you may never understand.