For God So Loved The World, Not For God So Loved America

What does The Bible say about refugees?

124

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, and whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:16-17

In case you have been living under a rock, let me inform you what has been happening in the United States of America recently. Back in November, the country elected Donald J. Trump as their president. Though, you can't really say that because the majority of the country did not vote for him. They, instead, voted for his rival - Hillary R. Clinton. Though, based on this really messed up thing called the "electoral college" that truly prevents the US from being a true democracy, Hillary is not our president - but, that's a whole different argument we won't get into today. Anyways... where was I? Oh yes, The Donald.

So, a little over a week ago Donald Trump was inaugurated as the official 45th president of the U.S. (enter mass chaos here). Since his presidency there have been marches from both sides of the spectrum, protests, celebrations, executive orders brought into action and so. much. more.

One of the most recent orders by Mr. Trump is the banning of refugees from 7 countries that are majority Muslim. This order has caused a trend on twitter #MuslimBan for both critics...

and praisers...

But, there was one tweet in particular that caught my attraction and made me stop and go "woah... true."

Take a minute and let that really sink in for a second. Don't type an angry comment, don't begin cursing at the sky... just quietly read that then sit in silence for 30 seconds, then come back.

Alright, you back?

So, some of you may be confused of how you should feel after that. Maybe you're a strong christian who is for the #MuslimBan and you don't know how to feel. Well, I'm not going to tell you what position you should have. Your views are your views, but, let me at least provide you some good food for thought.

In the beginning of John 3:16 it does in fact say "for God so loved the world." This means God loves the people of the United States, the people of Great Britain, the people of Africa, the people of Mexico, the people of China, the people Ireland, the people all over the world - and yes, this includes the 7 countries where refugees are banned (Iraq, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen).

But, wait, there's more.

If you are a strong Christian like myself, you probably know some good Bible verses. So, let's chat about some of them.

The first I'd like to bring up is 1 John 4:19-21. "We love because He first loved us. Whoever claims to love God, yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother or sister, whom they can see, must not love God, whom they cannot see. And He has given us this command: Anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister."

Next, let's look at Leviticus 19:33-34A. "When a foreigner resides among your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner who resides among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself..."

Now let's look at an example in The Bible of how God felt about someone not helping those in need in Ezekiel 16:49, "Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and the needy."

Let's keep going! This one is a bit of a long one, but it's super important. Matthew 25:35-43 says, "For I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in. I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Then the righteous will answer Him, "Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?" The King will reply, "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." Then he will say to those on his left, "Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared by the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat. I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink. I was a stranger and you did not invite me in. I needed clothes and you did not clothe me. I was in sick and in prison and you did not look after me."

Should I keep going?

This may be a bit overwhelming for you. You thought you had it all figured out, you thought you knew what view to have and what stance you stood on... but now, it may not be so clear anymore.

Your view is your own, but I am going to leave you with one last Bible verse...

"Love your neighbor as you love yourself." Galatians 5:14