10 Lessons From The Book of Romans For Your Daily Life

10 Lessons From The Book Of Romans To Improve Your Life

The Book of Romans is particularly revealing with truths that you can learn from.

40513
roman empire colosseum illustration
  • The Book of Romans is filled with useful lessons and insights that we can apply to our own life.
  • Reject thoughts of superiority.Therefore do not let what you know is good be spoken as evil. Romans 14:16
  • Speak out against injustice.Who are you to judge someone else's servant?... Romans 14:4

In my small group at church, we read through the Book of Romans. I was truly inspired by all the amazing scripture found within it. I narrowed down to 10 lessons that stuck out to me most (though there are many more). Enjoy!

1. We find freedom from sin in Christ.

a statue of jesus and aqueduct among an old ancient roman ruins siteStableDiffusion

Shall we go on sinning that grace may increase? By no means! We are those who have died to sin; How can we live in it any longer? Romans 6:1-2.

For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace. Romans 6:14.

As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. Romans 7:17.

In Christ, sin is rejected. We can find separation though we have committed sin since creation. He tells us we have died from sin, that we should no longer continue in our bad habits although Christ will always forgive. When we give into sin it becomes an idol, and we are therefore enslaved to it, but when we submit ourselves fully to God, we become slaves to righteousness.

2. We are slaves to righteousness.

cross in ancient roman ruins siteStableDiffusion

You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Romans 6:18.

Submission to God is necessary to prevent idolatry. When we put God above all else, we are enslaved to solely His righteousness, which will never fail us.

3. God walks with us.

feet on a beach with water coming up toward themStableDiffusion

For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his.Romans 6:5

Now if we are children, then we are heirs - heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory. Romans 8:17

It is true Christ went before us and suffered through all of our tribulations, but every time we go through a trial, He is there with us again. Additionally, we are able to rejoice in the joy of knowing the truth-- God is Messiah, and He is calling us His own.

4. We belong to God and no one else.

man praying in quiet garden areaStableDiffusion

So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ that you may belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we may bear fruit for God. Romans 7:4

But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.Romans 7:6

Therefore, there is no condemnation for those who are in Jesus Chris, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. Romans 8:1-2

There are many things that the devil wishes to hold us back with. Do not allow negative thoughts or the talk of humans control you. Instead, seek the truth which is God in every way.

5. Hope brings motivation.

young man standing on hill embracing the sunrise filled with hopePhoto by Pablo Heimplatz on Unsplash

I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. Romans 8:18

For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently. Romans 8:24-25

Though the present may seem dull or challenging God brings us a sense of hope; for ourselves, and for humanity if we choose to follow Him. The hope of a great future can be an easy idea to wrestle with because we are unable to know the plans God has for us, but part of faith is trusting in Him.

6. Nothing can separate - we have the Spirit within us.

young woman happy and filled with spirit in front of neon signPhoto by Max Andrey on Unsplash

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness... And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God's people in accordance with the will of God. Romans 8:26-27

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? Romans 8:35

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither life nor death, neither angels nor demons, nor any powers...will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 8:37-39

God is always with us in the form of the holy spirit. We were made in His image! Do not let troubles hold you down for God will always be with you if you need Him ask for His presence and He will surely present Himself to you.

7. God's mercy is the ultimate.

happy mother and daughter enjoying time togetherPhoto by Vivek Kumar on Unsplash

It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God's mercy. Romans 9:16

Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and hardens whom he wants to harden. Romans 9:18

but the people of Israel, who pursued the law as the way of righteousness, have not attained their goal. Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. Romans 9:31-32

Though people may follow rules and laws, that is not the complete life God has intended for us. He wants us to test our faith, to walk upon the water, and to follow Him even when and especially when the future is not certain.

8. Reject thoughts of superiority.

woman deep in thought prayingPhoto by kevin turcios on Unsplash

If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others now share in the the nourishing sap from the olive root, do not consider yourself to be superior to the other branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you. Romans 11:17-18

If God has shared the truth or a gift with you, do not take it as a reason to brag. Remember that He loves all His children and those who call Him Messiah the same. He cares immensely for each one of us. Though some may appear to have more blessings than others, God knows the full truth, which we will cannot ever understand on this earth.

9. Speak out against injustice.

two people doing peace symbol against injusticePhoto by Priscilla Du Preez 🇨🇦 on Unsplash

Therefore do not let what you know is good be spoken as evil. Romans 14:16

Christ speaks truth. He does not allow for false idolatry or failure of truth to prevail. He sets the record straight, and Christ wants us to become more like Him by doing the very same. This can be done by sharing the Gospel.

10. Do not judge.

inspirational pages of bible reflecting in sunlightPhoto by Timothy Eberly on Unsplash

Who are you to judge someone else's servant?... Romans 14:4

You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God's judgement seat. Romans 14:10

Though it is important to share the truth with Christians, it is not proper to judge one another for that is only the job of God. Christ states that loving your neighbor is one of the two commandments to keep closest to your heart. Do not forget to respect and love one another as God continually does.

God is good, and we can always learn by meditating on His word. Reading this book has enlightened me in so many ways, and it has inspired me to continue to dive into His word when I can.