God Loves The Gays, Too

God Loves The Gays, Too

A Christian lesbian's defense of SCOTUS' gay marriage ruling.

37
God Loves The Gays, Too
crystalcartierphotography

It is important that as you read this, you keep in mind that I am both a Christian as well as a lesbian. I have struggled in my faith for years and years, questioning everything from God’s existence to my own sexuality. The path I traveled, lined with impatience and too much teenage angst, has somehow left me surefooted and confident in myself and in my God.

For me, I found no comfort in hearing that my “sin” was no different from someone else’s. I did not find peace in knowing that even though I would one day choose to spend my life alongside a woman, God would forgive me. Instead, I found my comfort in Romans 12:2: “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will.” You see, God desires our curiosity, our constant questioning. I am not saved because I was told to be, my opinions are tested in life and in faith. I believe, wholeheartedly, that I was made in God’s image. From my crooked smile that I get too self-conscious about to my brain being naturally hard-wired to find women attractive, I am a reflection of exactly what God intended, I am fearfully and wonderfully made.

I believe it is my mission in life to give a voice to the silenced. I am not naïve enough to be blind to the fact that I will walk through life much easier than some of my sisters. The way I look, from the lipstick to the long hair, allows me to charm and disarm those who would otherwise have automatically judged me. I won’t ignore my privilege; I will spend my life altering your opinions. I have learned to be patient and understanding. I have also learned to love and to accept those who do not know any better. There is a difference between ignorance and hate. I will forgive you for not understanding the pain you’re causing but I will not forgive homophobia. It is not my sexuality you should fear, but rather the strength and reach of my voice, because I intend to show the world how misguided your beliefs are. I have not only learned how to have my heart broken and my expectations shattered constantly but how to simultaneously articulate the words to allow people to realize the hate they were often unintentionally spreading. Now is one of those times.

I am, quite obviously, an avid supporter of SCOTUS’ gay marriage ruling. I will defend this decision from a mix of two perspectives: politically and religiously.

Whether you like it or not, there is a separation of church and state in this country. This is a spectacular thing. It allows all people their constitutional right to freedom of religion and also allows us to try to form more unbiased opinions. Not all people are Christians, nor should they be. We worship the same God, just differently. From Catholics to Muslims, we are all solidified in faith and there is not one perfect way to worship. Most importantly, democracy is founded on the idea of giving all citizens a voice in politics. An atheist’s vote is equally as important as a Jew’s. Our religion, or lack thereof, should not play a part in politics. Government is responsible for acquiring and maintaining a safe, fair and equal life for its citizens. That is what SCOTUS did. They reassured me last June that I was equal, that I mattered, that my love is respected and valued just as much as anyone else’s.

Do you know how it feels to have your rights debated over? How it feels to think about the fact that a court had to force people to treat you equally? Marriage is inherently a legal process, complete with all of the stress and paperwork. Religion should not be a deciding factor. Even if you believe that homosexuality is a sin, you should support equal rights. You should support a fair treatment of all people, regardless of religious affiliations. My marriage will in no way have a direct effect on your life. By supporting gay marriage, regardless of your religious beliefs, you are showing the world that God’s love is eternal. By not doing so, you are unintentionally telling me that your love is more valuable than mine. That I am less than you. That it is acceptable to deny someone their rights because they are doing something that you see as morally wrong, even though it honestly makes no difference in your life. Please explain to me how trampling my civil rights to appease your religion makes you a “better” Christian. There are so many things you can do to assure your place in heaven – treating me like a second-class citizen is not one of them. You are not entitled to more rights than me because you are a heterosexual. I will never tell you to change the way you handle your religious beliefs, but I am asking you to not base my rights off of your personal interpretation of the Bible. Because trust me, my interpretation is vastly different. Marriage is a legal process – equality is not only expected but it is required. Religion is a personal journey – it is not consistent from person to person.

My final point is a simple one. Government was created by God and the decisions they make are to be honored and adhered to. SCOTUS has determined that gay marriage is a right that is gained through birth rather than earned.

I present to you Romans 13: 1-2.

“Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgement on themselves.”