Keeping God in Mind While Making Decisions

7 Ways To Keep God In Mind While Making Big Life Decisions

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." - Deuteronomy 31:6

3300

Whether it be decisions about your career, your relationship, or your housing, making big decisions can be stressful. With looming deadlines, differing opinions, and the potential of affecting others, a particular decision can temporarily consume your life. It's time to find peace in your decision making.

1. Pray

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/527554543827872352/

When we pray, God listens. While it may seem silly to "just" pray, it is one of the most fruitful things we can do while coming to an important decision.

2. Find scripture that applies closely to your situation

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/732749801847972952/

The best advice we can get comes through reading God's word. Go to Google or a trusted Bible app, and search for things relevant to the decision you have to make. Try reading multiple versions or getting context for these verses to fully understand what God is saying and apply it to your life.

3. Talk to friends who will point you back to God

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/307581849538287285/

Seeking advice and counsel from trusted friends is key in coming to a conclusion. Whether it be someone to bounce ideas off of or someone to see the problem another perspective, talking with Godly friends allows you to express your thoughts and ideas with someone who will support you while also reminding you to keep God in the forefront of your decision-making.

4. Remember how God has been faithful to you in the past

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/279926933069986130/

One of the worst parts about making a decision is the fear that you are making the wrong one. To combat this, think back to previous decisions you have made and how those worked out and how God oversaw you through that difficult time.

5. Consider your spiritual gifts

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/220183869267380490/

Depending on the particular decision you have to make, thinking about what your spiritual gifts are might be helpful. What traits has the Lord blessed you with, and how might those traits express themselves in the path that you are heading towards?

6. Determine if this decision will be a major point in your life in the grand scheme of things

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/141793088245222006/

Being in the moment, the decision you are currently making seems like a big one. However, if you zoom out, does the decision you are making still hold weight? Will this one decision actually matter in 2 years? While it could, there is a high chance that it really won't and realizing that can dial down the stress a little bit.

7. Reevaluate your motivations

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/396527942163026594/

So many times, when I think about why I am leaning towards a certain decision, I find that my motivations are worldly. Searching your heart to find the true reasons you are making a particular choice can be humbling and crucial to making the "correct" decision for you.

No one says that making decisions is easy, but no matter what you decide, remember one thing: God is still God no matter what you choose. He loves you and will always be with you.