Go Red For Women Campaign Focuses On Heart Disease In Women

Awareness campaign for heart disease specifically in women.

11
Jason Miller

Heart disease is a prominent issue causing one in three deaths each year and serving as the leading cause of death in women. This may be a result of irregular heart palpitations, valve problems, or heart failure, which all exhibit harmful capabilities to block the swift flow of blood and oxygen. The American Heart Association (AHA) conducts research on the heart and devotes its resources to finding ways to prevent heart defects initially. Their studies have shown that heart disease may be prevented, or at least set back majorly by two main factors: education and action.

The AHA conducts gender-focused research due to varying symptoms found and the higher number of deaths in women, but many ways to prevent heart disease can also be applied to men. One way is to be mindful of the foods you consume. Notice the numbers on the food labels for saturated fats and cholesterol, and lower your intake on these foods. This, along with frequent exercise, helps overall to create a healthy lifestyle and reduce the chances of heart disease.

The AHA also supports the Go Red for Women campaign by educating people on the disease and sharing preventative measures. On February 3rd, the campaign took full form, and supporters attended their local Go Red Events. By posting throughout the day using the hashtag #GoRedGetFit, more and more people may learn even just a few surprising statistics on the issue of heart disease in women. Supporters used this day in particular to encourage fitness, awareness of food intake, and understanding of heart disease. The campaign was also sponsored nationally by Macy’s, which “has contributed more than $60 million to Go Red for Women since 2004”, and you can read more about this on the Go Red for Women webpage.