Go Patriots?

Go Patriots?

Why a Proud Vikings Fan Doesn't Want the Eagles to Win

94
Go Patriots?
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/01/22/6365224735557597881001042811_super-bowl-52.jpg

Sigh.

It made for a great story.

A young, defensively talented team lead by their third string quarterback to become the first ever team to play the Super Bowl in their home stadium. Their nice, new, expensive stadium. Especially after the last second miracle to win the previous game.

The Vikings never stood a chance.

I hate to be "that person," but there's no way in hell the NFL would've allowed for the Vikings, or any team for that matter, to play the Super Bowl at home. Talk about a loss of money making opportunities.

I digress.

A few weeks ago I made a list of things I'd rather see than Brady and the Patriots win on my beloved Vikings home turf. Boy how things have changed in the last 24 hours.

This is likely the only time I will ever say this, but go Patriots. At this point, what's one more ring? Brady has to retire at some point and eventually the Patriots dynasty will collapse. While I'm not thrilled about the possibility of the Patriots winning back to back, there's one fan base I've come to hate more than the Cowboys. And that would be the Philadelphia Eagles.

They already had a reputation for being the worst and most classless fan base, and this weekend really seemed to solidify that. Let's start with how people were greasing poles so fans wouldn't climb on them after the game. Let natural selection do its work and get rid of those idiots. And any team that riots and burns down their city before actually winning the Super Bowl deserves any respect.

Maybe it's the Minnesota Nice in me, but I just don't get it. Throwing beer cans at opposing fans and the Vikings team bus as they left the stadium? Chanting "f*** Millie' after the win, as if somehow degrading a 99 year old Vikings fan was going to make people like you? Starting fights in parking lots with police and other fans doesn't sound like a fan base I want to be a part of. I think mocking the skol chant, something that is signature and has a history and pride, and using it to cheer for a quarterback who will likely play his last game in two weeks is what really was the cherry on top for me. I did however enjoy the "we want Brady" chant. I hope Brady and the Patriots come guns a blazing and humiliate those birds and their trashy excuse of a fan base.

I also don't get the underdog thing. A few weeks into this season when the Eagles kept winning and consistently being the NFC's number one seed doesn't qualify you as an underdog. I don't think up until now anybody would've ever called them that. It seems like a pathetic attempt to start traditions. Frankly, I think calling yourselves dogs doesn't help your reputation. Enjoy it now, because if there is a god, your season will come to a soul crushing end in two weeks.

I know, I know, I sound like a bitter, angry Vikings fan. Dude. I've lived in Minnesota my whole life. I know how our teams work. Eventually you stop being disappointed because you're so used to the feeling. And I know Eagles fans, we totally deserved the treatment we received in Philadelphia. God forbid fans go to a different city to watch their team play and take pride in that. Sorry putting a Vikings towel on your Rocky statue and the skol chant was such a trigger. I'd say good luck in two weeks when you have to come here, but Minnesotans are better than that. Minnesota Nice. We'll wish you good luck to your face and then pray behind your back your team looses. God bless police officers who'll have to deal with the aftermath, win or lose, in Philadelphia.

Anyways, I cried last year when the Patriots won, and I'll cry this year if they lose. I feel like I'm not alone in either of these scenarios. A city that acts like that and players who get cocky and big heads don't deserve to win. I still love my Vikings, I'm still proud of them and will support them until the end of time, but for one night and one night only, go Patriots.