One Final "Go Broncos!"

One Final "Go Broncos!"

To the high school I took for granted.

195
One Final "Go Broncos!"
McKinney Boyd High School

We often don’t reflect kindly towards our old high schools, running off to college for freedom and adulthood. In the past few weeks I’ve gone back to my high school, McKinney Boyd High School, for an outstanding choir concert, phenomenal orchestra performance, and a visit to my old teachers.

As I walked through the “hallowed halls” of my alma mater, I realized not only how lucky, but how blessed I was to attend Boyd.

Upon the end of the orchestra concert I attended, I ran into my principal. She had remembered I played cello in the orchestra for four years, even in a school of around 3,000 students. Dr. Pierson, approached me with a warm hug and knew me by name, asking me how A&M was, and how I had done in my freshman year.

I often took for granted the relationships I had with teachers and faculty in my high school.

I wanted to take time to recognize not only the amazing teachers and faculty who shaped my life, but friends who also have stuck by me through high school till now, and hopefully for years to come.

Coach Bado

Starting with the teachers, one of the most influential teachers I’ve ever had was my U.S. History teacher, Coach Bado. He taught not only history, but how we should form independent opinions, and that we are each unique in an amazing way. He inspired me in so many ways to be a better person, and that I didn’t have to hate history. Funny how once I got to college, it went from being my least favorite subject, to a possible major.

So many times I have reflected on the things I learned from Coach Bado, not only study habits and better ways to write, but in my outlook on my life. He encouraged students that positivity was key, and to love others in everything you do. I aspire to be the person he was to me one day, to someone else. Thank you for showing me how to treat people.

Dr. Hodum

Another fantastic teacher who no longer resides in Boyd’s halls, is Dr. Hodum. My AP Physics teacher. Although I was never the greatest at Physics, Hodum had a fun way of teaching my class how to see things from different perspectives. If I didn’t understand something the first time, he would find another way to show me how to learn. Even if that included embarrassing me for using my phone in class. Sorry Dr. Hodum.

Although we all gave Hodum a hard time, and never addressed him correctly with the “Dr.” in the front, Hodum had amazing connections with his students. Since he was so friendly to us all, we weren’t afraid to try in class. He’s the type of teacher that shows you how to laugh at a mistake, and then teach you how to fix it. Thank you for all the advice (and influence in my college decision, gigs). I should have listened to you a lot earlier on.

Mrs. Bennett

A teacher very close to my heart would be the one and only, Mrs. Bennett. I was fortunate to have her all four years of high school, which in a high school as big as mine, that’s almost unheard of. Mrs. Bennett was my English teacher, and my ISM teacher. I learned so many valuable things in her English classes, but the most important class I took from her was ISM.

ISM, or Interdisciplinary Studies and Mentorship, was a class that helped me to explore my future career. It gave me opportunities to have an internship during school hours, watch plastic surgery, and eventually determine that medicine wasn’t for me. I’ve never had a teacher who was so devoted to not only her students in high school, but their success afterwards.

So many times I would get discouraged, that I wasn’t as smart or as able as the other “GT kids”. Mrs. Bennett never let that be the definition of me. She never let me see myself as anything less than anyone else, no matter what. She constantly encouraged me through my once horrible writing, to where I am today. Thank you for helping me find what I love.

Mr. Supak

To another teacher I was lucky to have for 4 years, my Latin teacher, Mr. Supak. I remember my freshman year where I was somewhat scared of you, and now you’re one of my favorites. One of the funniest moments was when I brought the empty fishbowl for our class, since Nemo means “nothing” in Latin, but is an infamous fish.

Thank you for letting us read the Latin version of Winnie the Pooh my junior year, and helping me to understand that I can’t learn Latin by comparing it to English, but rather seeing it as it’s own language. Thank you for also always being a teacher who was there for me, not only in class, but at extracurricular events such as ISM night. Thank you for being supportive.

Mrs. Lakey

Next, a Bronco favorite, Mrs. Lakey. Thanks for making stats FUN! There was never a day where Mrs. Lakey didn’t have a smile on her face. Thanks for all the tight hugs, and encouragement through my senior year. You truly made some of the hardest days happier for me and I am so grateful for that.

I never thought a math class would be fun until I took Statistics with Mrs. Lakey. Everyday, there was something she did to make us laugh, or a fun assignment to complete. Her class was one of few, stress free environments. Thank you for everything. Thank you for being fun.

Mr. Galyon

Another very well known teacher is Mr. Galyon. I was lucky enough to have you and your wife, her for 5th grade, and you for Anatomy. Your class was what really made me want to go into medicine, but the blood was too much for me to handle. Since I was one of the few juniors in the class, you always made sure the seniors didn’t treat me differently because of it. You also gave me some of the most valuable study skills I’ve used in my life.

Anatomy was by far one of my favorite classes in high school, and one of the reasons was because you made it achievable. If you paid attention in class, you did well on tests, and I loved that. Thank you for teaching me study skills, which is a thing most teachers just glaze over.

Mr. T

To the coolest art teacher ever, Mr. T, thank you for showing me I’m not bad at art. As an elective my senior year, I decided to jump into an AP Art class for fun. Soon after class started, I realized that everyone was A LOT better than me. That didn’t matter to you. You convinced me, day after day, to get better, and the portfolio I turned in at the end of the year was better than I would have ever imagined.

I would have never tried in art if I had a teacher who wanted perfect art. You saw my art as something that defined me, and that’s what made it perfect. Thank you for putting up with a “Picasso”.

My "Picasso":

Mr. Bilyeu

To a well known voice to all us Broncos, Mr. Bilyeu, not only an amazing government teacher, but announcer for sporting events. Thank you Mr. Bilyeu for not giving up on me when I gave up on school at the end of senior year. You were one of the reasons I decided to change my major to Political Science, and I am forever grateful for all of your words of wisdom, enthusiasm for your students, and your support for me. It warmed my heart to come by the other day, and you were so genuinely interested in my life and college. Thank you for being dedicated.

Ms. Shelton

Not many people can remember their high school counselor, but mine made all the difference. Sandra Shelton you truly are the reason I got into college! Not only did you put up with my very specific schedule, you found ways for me to take classes that bettered me as a student.

You also were more than a “schedule creator” for me. You spent time getting to know me, and my life. Every time I saw you in the halls, you gave me a hug and encouraged me to be the best person I could be, and I am so grateful for that. Thank you for being more than just a counselor.

Mr. Link

And last, but certainly not least, thank you to my high school orchestra director. In my audition, you saw something great in me, and gave me a chance to be in the top group as a freshman. For four years, I remained in that group with you, traveling to Chicago for Midwest International, performing 4 UIL concerts, and my favorite, Guys and Dolls.

Although I was just another cellist, you always made time to listen to me, and give me advice. Since I never had a private lessons teacher like the other members, you took time out of your day to help me improve. Thank you for teaching me to love the cello, and showing me that orchestra is about more than just being the best.

These teachers, and many more, shaped me to who I am today, and I am forever grateful. It was such culture shock for me to walk into college and my professors not care about me or my well-being at all. I got used to having amazing, genuine teachers around, and I truly miss it. Thank you for everything.

Teachers are a large portion of why I look back so fondly to my high school, but so were some amazing friends. I wanted to also take time to thank them for their influence in my life.

Savannah Matson

Savannah Matson, I am forever grateful for your existence. This picture is probably my favorite picture of us because per usual, you’re telling me things are going to be ok. I was fortunate enough to extend an offer to be your friend in the end of my junior year, and you took me up on it. You constantly inspire me and amaze me.

When days got hard in high school, and I was dealing with a problematic boy or a catty girl, you always had a Panera Bread pastry for me to cheer me up, since you worked there. And on especially difficult nights, you’d get in the car with me and jam out to twenty one pilots. You introduced me to Rupi Kaur and my poetic side, and Emmylou. Sav, there has never been a day where you haven’t helped me through something, whether it’s a boyfriend, or something as simple as a toenail.

You are full of pure joy. Thank you for sharing that with me.

Chandler, Drew, Emma and Kendall

If Chandler and Emma don’t already know this, they were the seniors I looked up to in my junior year. I was lucky enough for them to befriend me, and then the same with their siblings. These four made my junior year so fun. At that point, we covered all the grades, Drew as a freshman, Kendall a sophomore, I a junior, and Chan and Emma as seniors. Weekly ice-cream or Braums runs were essential to our friendship’s and my sanity.

Although Chan and Emma are far away at UT, and Kendall leaves for college this August, the four of us keep in very close touch, even if it’s a Facetime at 12a.m. when Emma wants to show me her wrench. Thank you guys, all of you, for constantly being people I can look up to, and laugh with. I miss y’all bunches.

Lexi Thorson

Lexi is by far, the smartest person I’ve ever met in my entire life (sorry Austin). Although the valedictorian title was stolen away from her, she still placed second in my class. Even when you would have loads of homework, you would still make time to watch a little bit of your favorite TV show, and tell me about it. You have never failed to make me laugh when I need to.

Because we’ve been friends since 7th grade, when tough times came, you were there for me. Times like my senior year when I had a panic attack in a classroom, and you helped me to calm down. Days where I felt insignificant, you made me feel important. Thank you for inspiring me to be someone as great as you are Lex.

Alyssa Lokey/Puddin

I know your given name is Alyssa, but you’ll always be Puddin to me. I’m so grateful that even after you moved away, you came back, and we picked up where we left off, for the most part. You’ve known me since 3rd grade, so we’ve gone from playing with Polly Pockets together, to creating our Harley Quinn costumes in Economics our senior year.

You aren’t afraid to be yourself and it’s one of the things I admire most about you. In our senior year together, you told me it was ok to be different, and not to worry about other people. Thank you for showing me how to be myself.

Zac Amundson

Almost 7 years of friendship now and it all started because we were cello practice buddies in middle school. God has truly blessed me with this guy right here. You have been with me through everything, the good and the bad. You know when I’m faking a smile and when I really just need a hug. Some of my favorite high school memories with you were taking you to school, and long orchestra UIL bus rides where we annoyed every one on the bus.

You have made me feel like I’m never alone, on days where I felt like I had no one else. You constantly are there for me and cheer me up, no matter what. Thank you for being my best friend.

To all of those who made high school such a wonderful place for me, teachers and students alike, thank you for everything. I truly miss Boyd and everything it holds.

Go Broncos, always,

HMS