Thanksgiving Reflections

Thanksgiving Reflections

A Time to Give Thanks

50
Thanksgiving Reflections
Jami Ray

Savory smells swirl around my nose as I step through my grandma's kitchen door, the only door the family uses instead of the front one. The heat of the original 1940s gas stove embraces us and lets us know that our Thanksgiving feast is being prepared and cooked. The turkey sits freshly cooked and drips with flavor inside of its basting bag. My grandma works endlessly the day of and before to make sure our food tastes good (that alone is something to be grateful for). The football game is on in the living room, and the uncles are gathered around the television to cheer and jeer at the teams playing. The fridge is stocked with Coke and Diet Coke, the apple cider is chilling, and apple-cinnamon candles fill the air with warmth. In the family room, there are board games waiting to be played with 8 or more people. Chairs are added to the dining table, and the fold out camping table--used for our finger foods--is brought in from the garage and set up in its usual place. It's clear that tradition is a part of my family.

I look forward to this day every year. I love the food, the games, the family. Thanksgiving is one of the holiday's that brings me the most joy, not only because we can eat to our hearts' content with the ones we love, but because we can reflect on our year and see the good that has happened and be thankful. This year for me was definitely different, but I know there were good things that come out of it. There are things that happen to me every day that allows me to realize how much I should be grateful for what I have. Looking back on 2016's events, there can be found blessings in curses. I take my positivity and spread it because I aim to help as many as I can. I am thankful for those who also taught me new perspectives on life, and to those who helped me laugh when I was faced with dark shadows. I cherish all of my family and friends and I hope that this year, the food that we share together at the dining table is delicious and heart warming. I know it will be for me.

So hug everyone you love and thank them for everything they have done. Thank those working in stores, strangers, and your neighbors. There is always something to be thankful for, and I thank God every day.