Thanksgiving thanks

Luckily Thanksgiving Isn't The Only Day To Show Thanks

There are also 364 other days out of the year to feel thankful for.

32
Leah Fryar

Thanksgiving is undoubtedly one of my favorite days out of the entire year. There is nothing that beats wonderful food, watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and being surrounded by family. It is also a day that many sit back and reflect upon what they are grateful for. I love the idea of getting in a circle with family members and sharing what you are thankful for.

What if instead of just choosing this special holiday and others to show thanks we decided to spend a few minutes or seconds of each and every day to reflect on what we are grateful for? Gratitude involves being aware of and willing to express thanks. Changing the lens through which we view our world can ultimately change the way we live and experience life itself.

There is no magic formula for finding gratefulness. Instead, the most simple practices can reframe the ways in which we perceive our surrounding environment. Challenge yourself to keep a journal where you regularly report what you are grateful for on any given day. The list does not have to pages long or extremely difficult to write. Record what first comes to mind and let your mind come up with a list seamlessly.

Another option is to take inspirational quotes and pictures that you can put around your house, car, work or other places where you spend a lot of time. Picking the quotes and images you would like to use can also be really fun. Having positive messages around you can make you refocus on what is important to you. Simple gratitude practices can aid in boosting one's feelings of happiness and lower anxious feelings.

Be mindful in all that you do. Speak kindly and give simple gestures to others that let you know that you appreciate them. Call your mom to let her know you love her and are grateful for all she has done for you. Smile at strangers when you walk past them. Hold the door for those behind you. Have good intentions. Avoid negativity by surrounding yourself with positive people. Make time for those that mean the most, not just on the holidays.

Each of these acts seems so simple in nature but require a conscious effort. This means you should consciously try to include some simple acts in your life every single day.

There are so many simple ways to live a life full of gratitude on all days out of the year and not just on the holidays. Go ahead and see how living with continuous gratitude for what you have can change the way you see the world around you.