Things To Give Up In 2017

Things To Give Up In 2017

There are some things that hurt you this year, and it's time to take out the trash.

20
Things To Give Up In 2017
ABC News

1. People who do not improve you

Interpersonal relationships are meant to make the two engaged people better than they used to be. If your friend, significant other, or whoever the other person is, does not better you in any sense, they are not worth your time and effort. You deserve people who are willing to make you the best you can possibly be.

2. People who do not inspire you to improve

This doesn't have to be a relationship. It can be a public icon or someone who is often in your vicinity, as long as you know that person decently well. If that person does not inspire you to improve in any sense, they are not worth your time. Seek out people who are great in some way which you want to be, and aspire to emulate their good qualities.

3. Human Leeches

Some people will drain you dry of your happiness and energy. Sure, there are instances when someone needs a little extra help, but if this person is constantly dependent on you 24-7 for no good reason and you have your own tasks to attend to, put yourself first. You don't need an unnecessary stressor. And if this person continues to have issues, you can always come back to help them if you want to, but don't blame yourself for anything that happens.

4. People from whom you do not learn

Sharing is caring, and this is most true when it comes to learning from others. The roles of teacher and student are fundamentals to any healthy relationship. Just like in the above kinds of people. If a person closes you out, keep your distance. Should that person constantly keep their doors closed, it is best to not waste your time. There are people who would kill to cultivate you, family and friends alike. Such people are too precious.

5. Negative Nancies

Negative people hold you down. There are too many good and positive people who will love you and support you. Spend more time around them.

6. "New Year, New Me" updates over social media

If you're going to reinvent yourself for the better, let other people see how you've changed. No need to announce it. Besides. The same people saying "New Year, New Me" are the ones who don't change. Don't be that person.

7. Empty Resolutions

Everyone makes these. They say they're going to do something, and they totally forget. If you're going to do something, plaster it everywhere, and don't forget about it.

8. Big New Years Resolutions

They never work. Instead of one big resolution, set small resolutions by the week or month. Write them down, and at the end of the year, look back and see how far you came.

9. White Feminism

Feminism has been marred by a condition called White Feminism, which caters purely to straight white women. This marginalises coloured and queer women. Additionally, the modern white feminist movement has strayed from the initial goals of bringing about general social equity, and often result in misandrist movements, continuing to mar the image of modern feminism. Intersectionality is crucial to clearing the movement's name. Support from everyone is needed, regardless of race, sex, gender, age, or any other aspect of personal identity.

10. All Lives Matter

This should have disappeared a long time ago, but it's still misunderstood that institutional racism does exist, and must be dealt with. The premise of Black Lives Matter is to empower the black community, and hope that the other marginalised minorities will rise up as well. All lives do matter, sure, but it's the downtrodden black lives that are at hand right now.

11. False Masculinity

See here.

12. The Alt-Right

You'd think we'd have come further than this. White Supremacy, or any kind of bigotry, is an archaic and degrading belief. Such beliefs have no place in the modern world.

13. Meninism

Men are dominant to women, even to this day. Meninism's entire premise is based on the belief that men are the oppressed sex. Although meninism claims to be "semi-satirical", the fact that they are taken seriously at any level is quite ridiculous.

14. Stalking Exes

Move on. You're only giving yourself bad thoughts if you keep them in mind. Don't try to spite them. Don't speak or think ill of them. The only one at any loss is you.

15. Body Shaming

Just why? Why should you make fun of someone else's body, especially if they're working to improve themselves? This happens way too often in gyms and food courts. The people trying to shed fat or gain some muscle, rather than laughing at them, they deserve a pat on the back and encouragement to keep going.

16. Late Sleeping

This has become kind of a joke amongst students and working people, saying that they say they'll go to bed early but are partying at 2 AM. Sleeping late is a very unhealthy routine. Sleeping at an earlier time, ideally by 10 PM, is a better idea. Waking up at 6 is optimal, getting you all 8 hours of sleep, and a little extra daylight (please go outside now and then). A fine tuned sleep schedule is a big part of living a happy life.

17. Skipping Breakfast

Everyone is guilty of this now and then, but breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Coffee, bagel, banana, that's enough to start the day. Don't leave yourself malnourished.

18. YouTube comments

Just get an adblocker, get it to block an element on the page, select the YouTube comments, and they'll disappear from view. You don't need that negativity in your life. Unless you want to mess around on there, then by all means, knock yourself out.

19. Skipping the workout

Exercising is just as important as exercise of the mind. It's a minimum of an hour a day. Rather than binge watching Sherlock, although it IS an awesome show, why not try to see how many pushups you can do? And don't train your body to try and achieve some kind of body, but do it because you're going to feel better than ever, about yourself and the world around you.

20. Using "Adult" as a verb

You cleaned the house. You bought groceries. You cooked a meal. You did not "adult". You did basic and necessary actions to survive. This isn't (shouldn't) be something terribly special.

21. Denying your own self-worth

A lot of people are going to talk trash, but never forget how valuable of a person you are. You have people who love you and support you no matter what. You are a loveable person, and you also have the ability to love everyone.

22. Faking your personality for attention

Nobody likes a fake person. Don't try to be someone you're not. Someone is going to find out. It's a difficult hole to crawl out of.

23. Keeping your thoughts to yourself

If you think you have a good idea, let it be known, or implement it. No one should have a monopoly on thoughts.

24. Saying "Goals" for anything you like

Stop trying to live by memes and other peoples' lives. Do it for yourself. Set your own goals and blow them out of the water.

25. Internet Challenges

These are bad decisions in themselves. Unless it's for a fantastic cause (like the ALS ice bucket challenge), don't waste your time and energy.

26. Using being offended as a viable argument

That is a form of Ad Misericordiam, a logical fallacy which attempts to use one's suffering as an argument. Just because you are hurt by the other side, doesn't mean you can use it as a viable argument. You can explain why they are wrong using solid data and facts, but claiming victim does you no good.

27. Being offended by every other thing

Many of us have become rather thin skinned on multiple matters. It's okay to be offended by some things but to find every other sentence offensive is a bit much. Many people cope by joking or use sharp-tongued methods to communicate their own issues. A small cringe here and there, sure. That's expected. But unless that person is plainly and overtly

28. Demanding censorship of offensive things

Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean you can remove it altogether. As Evelyn Beatrice Hall said, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it ." Censorship is not the answer for such issues. Whether you agree or disagree with the said material is irrelevant. Take it as an opportunity. You will know exactly the kinds of people you should and should not be around. There are many ways to deal with such matters. You can discuss, you can challenge, you can even stigmatise if you wish, but you cannot silence.

29. Celebrity Worship

There are a lot of celebrities who are famous for no good reason. Rather than the Kardashians or the Jenners, why not turn to people who actively shape today, like Bill Gates and Malala Yousafzai, and use them as inspiration. Do what you can to change the world for the better.

30. Climate Change Denial

Almost the entire scientific community agrees. It's time to get over it. It's very real, and it's threatening every part of our lives.

31. "I'm not racist, but ____________________" comments

People who make these comments are racist. This goes for any other kind of bigoted stance.