Ways To Give Thanks

10 Small But Powerful Ways To Give Thanks This Season

Welcome to gratefulness season!

61
Friends

It's finally fall! With the changing leaves and the brisk autumn winds come Halloween and the equally important Thanksgiving! Stepping away from the historical aspect of the holiday for a second, Thanksgiving is all about being grateful to the people you cherish most during the rest of the year. Ideally, we would all be grateful all the time, but this is the time of year to show extra appreciation. If you can't think of any way to express your gratitude, here are some ideas to help you get started!

Write someone a letter/note

It doesn't have to be super complicated. Just take the time of day to put on paper how much you appreciate someone and let them know it! A written form of gratitude ensures that the person you are grateful for has something to hold on to from you which shows just how much you care. It doesn't have to be long!

Do someone a favor

If you notice that someone is under a lot of stress with a million things to do (also something indicative of this season besides gratefulness) — help them out! Take a second out of your day to see if you can help them in any way and lighten their load. If they say they don't need help, they will still appreciate that you asked!

Spend some quality time

Say you don't see the person you're grateful for so often, that really stinks. It probably stinks for them, too. Make an effort to reach out and see if there is a time they'd be willing to reconnect. You don't have to do anything special, just be there with them and they may appreciate it. It could be good for you, too!

Give a hug!

DISCLAIMER: you must ask before you just go up and hug someone. Some people love physical touch and other people, not so much. If the person you are grateful for is having a rough time, sometimes a hug can reassure them that there are people in their life who are there for them if they ever need anything. Make sure to reassure them!

Give a gift

This doesn't have to be a crazy extravagant venture! Let's say you were walking in the supermarket and you saw a little bundle of sunflowers. It pops up in your mind that one of your best friends loves sunflowers and would really appreciate this small bundle. If you were to give it to them out of the blue, they'd be super surprised and love it!

Make sure everyone feels included

The last thing that anyone wants is to be standing alone. Unless they prefer solidarity. But you should still make an effort to reach out. If you see someone all by their lonesome, ask them to come hang out! Be inclusive! The more friends the better.

Help with things you're not necessarily good at

Let's say that someone is painting a gigantic poster for a committee that they're on. If you're not very artistically inclined, that DOES NOT mean that you can't help! Ask the person what they think you can do to help and try your best! If you notice that you are messing up beyond repair then you can stop, but at least try!

Be considerate of your actions

Everyone's a little annoying. Even you might have some habits that people find irksome. Step away from yourself for a little and notice what you're doing that could be seen as not particularly great. Work on yourself! That way you can be better toward the people you care about.

EYE CONTACT

When you're talking to someone, look them in the eye and really listen to what they're saying to you. This shows that you're actually interested in what they have to say rather than using it as background noise. Of course, you can listen and stare into space at the same time, but it's not really the same.

Devote time to the interests of others

If your friend is really into comic books and you honestly couldn't care less, maybe try caring a little more. Read a comic that they like and try to connect with them in a deeper way than you were able to before. By respecting their interests, you can show your gratitude.