Women reveal what they really want in a relationship
relationships

Men, Here Is Your Chance To Learn 21 Things Women Want In A Relationship But Are Afraid To Admit

We are not asking for an unlimited credit card, just a little bit of effort.

1238

Raise your hand if you are a woman and feel guilty for voicing your concerns in a relationship. Society has manipulated us woman into thinking wanting certain things in a relationship is a bad thing. Think about it, it is easier to say what you don't want in a relationship than focusing on what you do want.

When women voice their concerns or desires, we are judged or seen as picky or needy. Determined to figure out what women truly want in a relationship, I decided to ask college-age women what they hope and look for. Men, this is your chance to get an inside scoop to what women are secretly hoping for.

1. "Reassurance."

Girls said they want to be reassured in a relationship. As anti-feminist as this sounds, women like hearing they are doing something right. Women are constantly being pitted against each other in today's world, and men are constantly berating us. I would hope that the man you're seeing should have the brains to reassure you from time to time that what you do matters, and that you have value.

2. "Spontaneity."

We seek spontaneity. Spur of the moment adventures are fun! Things do not have to be set in stone for you to have a fun time. One of the girls I spoke to says she likes spontaneity in a relationship; it is something she actively looks for in a partner.

3. "Little surprises."

We want to be surprised with little things in a relationship. It doesn't have to be expensive. One girl said, "I love when my boyfriend surprises me with a Slurpee just because he knows I love them. But no one wants to ask people to spend money on them, even it is it a $1."

She is right, women feel guilty for wanting to be spoiled, but we not-so-secretly love it. Small things, even dollar store treats, are things we appreciate if they come from someone we love. Another friend said, "Literally a candy bar, pinwheel, or my favorite brownies. Small things that make me smile."

4. "Telling me what they want."

Girls want to be told straight up what their partner wants. How many conversations have you had that went something like this: "We can do this if you want" or "We can get food if you want"? No! One girl said her number one pet peeve is when guys say they are fine with anything. "No, tell me what you want to do," she says.

5. "Compliments."

Women suckers for compliments. I'm not saying compliments are the end-all and be-all, but all women like being told they are pretty or have a great laugh - something along those lines. If your partner doesn't recognize the great qualities you offer, chances are you need to move on.

6. "Making you feel like one in a million, not a million of a million."

Us women want to feel special. This suggestion is just a given. Why would you want to spend your time with someone who makes you feel unworthy or just like everyone else? Be with someone who realizes how special you are.

7. "Flowers."

Women still love receiving flowers from their S.O. Yes, technically flowers would fall under the surprises category, but since we all love flowers, they deserve special recognition. It doesn't matter if they last or not, flowers are always appreciated. Little fun fact: Even after 31 years of marriage, my dad brings my mom flowers every week. It doesn't matter if women have a green thumb or the skill to kill a cactus, we all love the gesture of flowers.

"Equal amount of effort put in by both members of the relationship."

We want want back what they put in. This whole theory of relationships being easy is a bunch of nonsense. Relationships are work, but that is okay if both parties are doing equal work. Dating should not be a one-sided thing; both people need to make an effort for a relationship to succeed.

9. "Telling me I'm beautiful."

Women want to be told they're beautiful by their partner on a regular basis. I don't mean women are fishing for compliments. Women do like to hear that their partner thinks they are beautiful, even when they are looking like a mess. As one woman said: "Tell me I look beautiful when I lowkey look like a hot mess. Knowing their love is not contingent on exterior features and you being dressed up with makeup on." She is not wrong!

10. "Honoring differences in opinions."

Some of the girls I asked stressed the importance of being okay with your partner having a different opinion than you. Relationships are not a one-way street; it is about making an effort to understand the way your partner feels. You might not agree with your partner's ideas or opinions, but it is still important to consider the other side of a situation.

11. "Put in some effort planning dates."

Women want a man who can plan dates is a man worth keeping. It is always nice to look forward to something either at the end of the week or even the following week. This effort makes women feel special and tells them that you care enough about them to plan something nice. We are not asking for a date night every night, but once in a while is always nice. We feel bad asking for the guy to plan it. Men, take the initiative to execute the plan, don't make us have to remind you. The last thing we want is to come across as a nag. All we want is to sit back, relax, and enjoy our time with you.

12. "Be open and honest."

Honesty is key! Yes, men, girls do like to talk about their feelings, but why do you leave us feeling like the enemy? Women like when you are transparent in a relationship. Don't make us guess how you are feeling, just tell us.

13. "Being cool with my family and including me with his."

Family is the most important aspect of a relationship. Family is an essential part of life. One woman said: "Family is everything. I love when my boyfriend suggests that we visit my family and that he goes out of his way to talk to my family members and get to know them. I love that he brings me with him to his family dinners and events and lets me into such an important part of his life!"

14. "Openness and willingness to communicate."

Women just want to communicate properly with their partner, as 24 women told me. Women struggle to communicate their feelings with their partner, especially regarding intimacy. We fear judgment or making the other person feel self-conscious. In situations like this, women only want their partner to listen from a non-judgmental standpoint. Please don't make this conversation harder than it needs to be.

15. "When they are driven both in their relationship and life."

We want a man with drive and determination. News flash, part of the reason Fifty Shades of Grey was a success was because Christian Grey was a successful businessman. Women like seeing men put effort into both their personal and professional lives. It is also great when both men and women can work on improving themselves side-by-side.

16. "Being positive."

It is important to date someone who is positive. Women love it when men make us feel confident and positive, especially when "shit hits the fan." When you help us feel better or encourage us to step out of our comfort zone, you not only help us, but you help the relationship grow.

17. "Give us some space."

Space is important too! Guys, if women are committed to being in a relationship with you, that means we like you. But for the love of all things good in the world, please give us some space. When you provide us with space and time to do the things we want to do and respect that time, it means a lot to us. It is okay for us to go out with the girls and you hang with the guys. We welcome that.

18. "Love notes."

Women want to receive love notes. Yes, I am talking about full on Peter Kavinsky "To All the Boys I've Loved Before" style notes. Women do not expect men to be Shakespeare. Even I, a theater geek, find his love sonnets a little dull and lengthy. Simple notes saying you thought about us during the day can make a big difference. With texting, everything has become instantaneous. However, if you surprise us with hand-written notes, it means you took the time out of your day to write it for us women.

19. "Communicating in ways other than texting."

Communication is key, as stated before. But women said they want it in other ways than just text. We all have stressful days. Having a guy check in with us after work or after we have been studying for an exam is always a nice gesture. If you are dating someone, there should be an expected level of communication. It is nice to talk about our days and check in with one another. It also means being understanding when we might not be at our best.

20. "Following through with plans."

We hate being stood up, and why would we not? If we make an effort to plan something, most likely we get excited to see you. Women love it when we go through with our plans instead of saying, "There just wasn't enough time in the day," or "I'm tired."

21. "Sex."

Yes, women like sex too.

Men, here's a little secret: We women feel bad about having to ask you for these silly little things. But you would be surprised by how simple things make a big difference to us. Society has somehow conditioned us to feel guilty and ashamed to admit what we want in a relationship. Why are women embarrassed to admit what they want out of a relationship?