12 Gifts For The College Senior Graduating During The Global Pandemic

Although no gift could make up for the fact that seniors are not getting a proper sendoff, here are just some things that you can do to help brighten up their lives or keep them hopeful for the future.

313

I think I can say with confidence that we all anticipated May 2020 to look much different than it is right now. Graduation, both high school and college, is more than just a diploma--it represents an accumulation of hard work, persistence, and success. But even more than that, it is a symbol of the future and an opportunity to close a defining chapter and begin a new, even greater one.

Sure I feel sad, angry, and just heartbroken for them, but there's almost a part of me that almost feels a sense of guilt that the graduating class of 2020 cannot experience a proper close to the end of their experience. Though I haven't graduated college yet, my senior year of high school was probably the best time of my life. Senior spring break, prom, graduation, and finally beginning my freshman year of college were by far the happiest moments of mine that I can remember. My home friends have even joked about it, recently starting a hashtag #BringBack2018 as a reminder of a simpler, happier time in our lives. It just makes me feel awful that I get to look back on such a time on my life with such positive memories and these seniors don't get any sense of closure. And the fact that it's beyond any of our control doesn't make it any better.

With that being said, I know that there is a lot that we can at least try to do to mend the loss of this time and try to brighten up the mood. I thought that it would be good to share a list of some gifts that I think would be either special or useful for seniors, especially college seniors, to have during this time. While no gift could make up for the fact that seniors are not getting a proper sendoff, I do think that it will come highly appreciated. At least for me, even the smallest things have the power to lighten up my mood, and I am sure the same goes for many people.

1. A skylight frame

[possibly insert a photo of the gift and hyperlink attribution if applicable]

I first heard of a skylight when it was talked about on "The Morning Toast," which is one of my favorite podcasts. A skylight is a WiFi connected digital photo frame where you can email photos to the recipient, and it will appear on their frame in seconds! You can change the photos whenever you want. What I love about this is that you can be anywhere in the world, and be able to let them know you're thinking of them at any moment.

2. A pair of Airpods

I'm not going to lie, I was kind of an airpod hater for the longest time. I made excuses; I said they would fall out of my ears, that I would lose them and let my friends make fun of when I'd wear what they call "airpods with wires" for the longest time. And of course I fell into the trap and purchased my own when they were half off on Amazon. And now I'm obsessed and will never go back.

3. Their drink/alcohol of choice

Because what college student (who I'm sure is also in the midst of a whirlwind of emotions) would not appreciate a drink right now.

4. An air fryer

An air fryer has been one of my family's favorite purchases because you can seriously make anything in. It would make the perfect housewarming gift for a graduating senior who is planning on moving into their own apartment.

5. A necklace with their college coordinates on it

In my opinion, jewelry has more significance when it has a meaning behind it. I've never been the biggest jewelry girl, but the pieces that I have worn in the past are those that were given to me by special people or for a special reason, and I definitely think a necklace that would remind me of my college days would be a great addition to that collection.

6. Some money towards a down payment on a car or apartment

Coming from someone who could probably be described as a difficult one to shop for, money is always a hit for everyone. I love saving money towards for a big gift like this, and I'm sure many college students would appreciate the gesture.

7. A planner

Now you're graduated and expected to have everything planned out, so I guess writing it all down and attempting to be productive would be a good place to start.

8. Some clothes for the ~real world~

Unfortunately we're all rocking the suit on top, pjs on bottom look in our zoom screen right now. But eventually (hopefully lol) we will go back to normal, and we're all going to want to freshen up our wardrobe, especially with nice clothes that will be well-suited for work and.

9. A Kindle

For those of you who say "I only like the feeling of holding a book" have never held and read from a Kindle before. To say that I'm obsessed with my new Kindle would be an understatement, and I've kind of been reading books like a maniac. This would definitely be a good graduation gift, especially with all the extra time we have right now to spend reading and getting.

10. A painting or poster of their campus

Such a sweet, simple gift that anyone would cherish. I mean how cool would it be to wake up every morning with a beautiful picture of Kams or the quad in your room every morning?

11. A picture collage of special moments of their college experience

I am definitely one of the most sentimental people out there and love sifting through old photos and videos from my younger years as it takes me back to that time, so anyone who is just like me would definitely love this one.

12. A ticket to anywhere else when this is all over

We all deserve a nice vacation right now, but I think the graduates could probably use one more than the rest of us combined.