The Gift Of Giving Back To Your High School

There's no better feeling than knowing that you put a smile on someone's face

602
twitter.com

Giving back is simply awesome and amazing. Why do you ask? Well, I think giving back is a humbling experience. You give up your time and your plans to serve people, either domestic or international. During my college winter break, I gave up the last few days of my break to serve as a small group retreat leader for the seniors at my high school.

Overall, it was an unforgettable experience. I went to an all-girls high school, and I loved every single moment. Ursuline Academy was my home away from home. I graduated in 2015, but I remember a lot of memories so vividly like they happened yesterday. Ursuline is such a tight-knit community because each grade has about 80 students. I had friends in just about each grade level, the principal knew you by name and the teachers were there to help you no matter what. Even though I'm not physically at Ursuline anymore, the school will always have a special place in my heart.

I'm really close with Ursuline's campus minister, Ms. Joubert, but she likes to be called by her first name, Beth. She, an Ursuline grad herself started working at the school when I was a senior. Beth was there to talk to me about my college fears, personal struggles and obstacles. It was hard to leave her when I graduated.

Recently, almost two years after graduation, Beth asked me if I wanted to serve on the alumni retreat team, and I said yes right away. I felt honored to work with the seniors and even some of my classmates who I graduated with. As a small group leader, I was able to talk with my group about their fears for the future and several obstacles that they are currently going through.

The retreat was intimate, personal and necessary. It was emotional for me because every time I looked at the girls, I saw myself as a senior all over again. To see how quickly time has passed freaked me out. Most importantly, I wholeheartedly realized just how special Ursuline is and always will be to me. Ursuline has made who I am today, and I couldn't be more thankful. Serviam is the school's mission, and it means "I will serve." Thank you Ursuline for allowing me to come back home and serve students who will eventually leave their mark in this world.