Is Giannis Antetokounmpo the NBA's Next Triple-Double Threat?

The era of the "Greek Freak" is upon us.

66
NBA.com

Is Giannis Antetokounmpo on his way to becoming the next triple-double machine in the NBA?

He very well might be.

For starters, the "Greek Freak" is certainly getting paid like a few of the NBA’s other top-notch triple-double-prone players. During the 2016 NBA offseason, Antetokounmpo and the Milwaukee Bucks agreed to a four-year, $100 million contract extension. From a monetary standpoint, his new deal places him among guys such as James Harden and Russell Westbrook, both of whom signed contract extensions of their own during the offseason.

Harden and the Houston Rockets agreed to a four-year, $118 million contract extension in 2016. The bearded offensive phenomenon has posted multiple triple-doubles in each of the past couple of seasons. Harden’s four triple-doubles during the 2014-15 regular season were the second-most recorded for one player that year; he also finished second in NBA MVP voting that year as well. Harden continued recording triple-doubles during the 2015-16 regular season; he notched a total of three triple-doubles last year.

Westbrook and the Oklahoma City Thunder agreed to a three-year, $85.7 million contract extension in 2016. Like Harden, the Thunder’s explosive floor general has also racked up multiple triple-doubles during the past two seasons. In fact, Westbrook has notched more triple-doubles than any other active player during that time span. Westbrook’s 11 triple-doubles during the 2014-15 regular season were the most recorded for one player that year. He followed that by finishing with a league-best 18 triple-doubles by the end of the 2015-16 regular season. Westbrook is a legitimate MVP candidate for the 2016-17 season.

Antetokounmpo was taken by the Bucks with the 15th overall pick in the 2013 NBA Draft and has quickly developed into one of the most productive players in the league. He has, perhaps, become the best player in his draft class. He is a 6-foot-11, 222-pound athletic forward with point-guard capabilities and superstar potential. At just 21 years old, he still has plenty of time to develop even further. The sky’s the limit for this kid.

The "Greek Freak" finished with a total of five triple-doubles by the end of last season. He was moved from the forward position to the point-guard position after the 2016 All-Star break and continued to thrive there for the Bucks, displaying ball-handling skills and a court vision not often seen by a big man. His agility at the guard spot prompted Bucks head coach, Jason Kidd to announce that Antetokounmpo would be playing as the team’s point guard for the 2016-17 season.

Antetokounmpo’s five triple-doubles during the 2015-16 regular season were the fourth-most recorded for one player that year. Rajon Rondo finished in third place with six triple-doubles. Draymond Green finished in second place with 13 triple-doubles. The aforementioned Westbrook, of course, finished in first place with 18. John Wall rounds out the top five; he came in fifth place with four triple-doubles.

The 2016-17 NBA regular season is under way. The Bucks have newly acquired point guard Matthew Dellavedova to run the floor for them in the backcourt now. However, Dellavedova, as effective as he can be, is expected to just be a role player; Antetokounmpo, on the other hand, is becoming a star.

Antetokounmpo is expected to continue progressing toward his maximum potential as he enters his fourth NBA season. Are there more triple-doubles to come for the "Greek Freak"? Will he top the number of triple-doubles he notched a season ago? These questions will be answered soon enough. Stay tuned.