How To Get Your Shit Together

If Your Life Is A Mess, Organize A 'Get Your Shit Together' Day

Girl, it's time.

202
Notebook

When I started college, I realized that I had a lot of spare time to kill on the weekends. To fill up my time, I would make a lot of plans with friends, go out to eat, or attend a university function of some sort. However, when Sunday night approached, I realized that my procrastination had hurt me in the end. I forgot about my homework, didn't do my readings, missed out on doing my laundry, and I didn't take time to care for my mental health.

After doing extensive research via YouTube, (shoutout to YouTuber Kalyn Nicholson) I've learned how to properly conduct a G.Y.S.T. day, also known as a Get Your Shit Together Day. In the following list, I'll go through steps on how to plan a G.Y.S.T. day to make your life less of a mess.

1. Pick a day when you have the least to do

In order to plan your G.Y.S.T. day, you have to find a day where you already do the bare minimum. These days are usually done on the weekend. Personally, I do my G.Y.S.T. days on Sundays since I have nothing to do and I have to get up early anyway to go to church. However, this part is entirely up to how your schedule is laid out.

2. Wake up early

Ah yes, probably the hardest part of this list. But don't worry, it's for your own good. Waking up early will give you more time to complete your tasks throughout the day. You'll also feel less groggy throughout the day and feel more put-together.

3. Stretch and meditate

This little morning step takes no longer than 10 minutes. After you wake up, it's beneficial to stretch your arms and legs so you can feel more energetic. Quick stretches are a great way to prepare your body for the day, and they're super easy to do. Meditating is also super important. Having a couple of quiet minutes to ease your mind or show your gratitude for being alive creates a positive attitude at the beginning of the day. This can be done while you're stretching, killing two birds with one stone.

4. Clean (I swear, it's easier than you think)

This is the biggest step. Having a clean space will help you have a clear mindset for the rest of your activities to come. Cleaning sounds like a lot of work or seems overwhelming, but it's really not. Here's how to break down your cleaning. First, make your bed. Then do your weekly laundry. While you're waiting for your laundry to be done, do other chores like vacuuming the floors, washing dirty dishes, cleaning your desk, and throwing away the garbage. By the time that's all done, your laundry should be finished and you'll be able to put away your clothes.

5. Answer emails and text messages

I'm super guilty for not responding to people right away. Truthfully, you should check your messages every day, but let's be real — a lot of us are busy. That's why during your G.Y.S.T. day, you should take some time out to respond to people. After replying to people, delete old emails and messages to declutter your inbox.

6. Complete your errand run

Do you desperately need to get your nails done? Go grocery shopping? Buy a birthday gift? Get that done today. Make a list of things you need to get and go on a speedy shopping trip. I know it might be hard, but don't wander off and window shop. This trip should be quick and short.

7. Complete your homework

Once you come back from your errands, you should begin doing your work. By this time, your place is already clean, and you don't know have to worry about other items because you've knocked them off the list. You'll be able to sit down and focus on the material you need to work on.

8. Map out your week's schedule

The day is almost coming to a close. You should begin to plan out how the rest of the week is going to look for you. Use your Apple calendar or Google calendar and schedule your classes, work, and events. This will help you organize the rest of the week and help you figure out what time is best to study or plan meet-ups and so on.

9. Treat yo self time

Yes, you did it! You completed a G.Y.S.T. day, and now it's time to unwind. Even though today's schedule was more about work and chores, it's also important to keep up with your mental health. On these days, I like to do a hair mask, a facial, and relax in the shower. Taking my time and reflecting on the day helps me realize how much I can actually get accomplished without feeling stressed out. Since this is your last step, feel free to watch an episode on Netflix or eat some dessert. You've earned it!

We all know how hard it is to keep up with everything and try to perfect it all. It seems nearly impossible to get everything done. But hopefully, these steps should help you organize your life a little bit more and put you on the right track.