How To Get Over Him Without Getting Under Anybody Else

10 Proven Tactics To Get Over Him, Without Having To Get Under Anybody Else

Because there are better ways to get over a guy than to rely on someone to fix the heart another guy broke.

26
https://unsplash.com/photos/nzkPap0cHV0

We have all heard the saying, "the best way to get over him, is to get under someone else" - the saying heard and told by girls around the world. Well, at least where I'm from. This might not be a popular opinion, but I believe there are much better, more productive ways to get over an ex- but if you truly believe sleeping with someone else is the best way to get over a relationship, then be my guest.

The truth is, many things can go wrong by sleeping with someone for the sole purpose to get over some POS you should have never dated in the first place. Sleeping with someone could make you feel worse, it could create a bad habit of relying on other people for your happiness or self-worth, the guy you're sleeping with could catch feelings, YOU could catch feelings, you could bury all of your feelings and never actually heal, or you could get pregnant and die (Mean Girls reference—I had to).

So, for those of you going through a breakup, I have some ideas that will keep you from experiencing all of the above.

Here are 10 ways to get over your ex WITHOUT getting under someone else:

1. Start with the basics

Get rid of his T-shirts, throw away that necklace he got you for Valentine's Day, delete those pictures and videos of him off of your phone, and please for the love of God unfollow him on Instagram and Twitter. Doing all of these things will help you think of him LESS, and the less you think about him the MORE you move on. Decluttering is key. Bye Felicia!

2. Go on a girls trip

Take that trip! After my last breakup, I went to Austin with my friends. There's nothing that subtly says I'm getting over you like a fun girls trip. It will help you keep things (him) off your mind, and when it's late at night and you've somehow forgotten about all of the reasons you two broke up and can only remember every happy thing that ever happened with him, your girlfriends will be right there to cheer you up.

3. Make a change

Cut your hair! Dye it! Transfer schools! Move! Whatever it is, make a change. The change you've always wanted to do but have been too scared or tied down to do. This is YOUR life now. Take advantage of the independence that comes with being single.

4. Do something you've always wanted to do

Start working out regularly. Craft. Scrapbook. Take a cooking class. Skydive. Nothing and nobody is holding you back. The emotions of heartbreak are overwhelmingly strong. Take those emotions and redirect them toward some sort of passion or hobby. Not only will it distract you, but it will help you move on.

5. Eat your favorite foods

Eat your favorite foods while watching a movie and drinking wine in the comfiest pj's you own. Who cares how many carbs or calories there are. You have a heart to heal and that is a priority.

6. Spend time outside

Go on a hike on a nearby trail. Take your dog for a walk. Lay out. Whatever it is that keeps you from napping your life away. It'll help get your endorphins pumping, which you definitely need if you're heartbroken.

7. Take a bath

Baths are my favorite. Bring your laptop and a glass of wine so you can binge Netflix while relaxing in a warm bubble bath. It's soothing and you'll love it.

8. Go to a movie by yourself

Who needs a boy to go to your favorite movie? Your ex probably has no taste in movies anyways. Get the popcorn and Mr. Pibb, or go all out and get a 21+ seat and order food and drinks while watching the movie he would have NEVER gone to see with you.

9. Soul-search

Find yourself. Sometimes a break up can be eye-opening. You may realize you've put a lot of your identity in someone else. That's ok, and it happens all the time, but before you dive into anything else just be sure you know who you are. And be sure you love who you are before you give and accept love from anyone else.

10. And remember, it's always ok to cry

Crying is a great way to release built up emotions. Don't hold it all in. That isn't healthy for anyone. It's a normal part of grieving the love you have lost and there's no shame in it. Cry with your head held high and don't let anyone make you feel bad for how long you take to get over your ex. There's no time limit on how long you're allowed to be heartbroken—take your time.

In the meantime, avoid other people's beds.